desperateforhealth

Reaction To Soda?

Rate this topic

So, the first thing I ever identified as a problem was soda. Starting about four months ago, every time I drank it I would get an upset stomach. After this happened twice, I just cut it out. Then I cut out dairy. Then, two months ago, I went gluten-free. I have gotten somewhat better since going gluten free and improving my diet all-around, but not completely.

Today I was at World Market with my best friend and she bought a bottle of some really interesting Dandelion root/some other root soda. I wanted to try it--I know dandelion root is supposed to be good for your stomach and I checked the ingredients list for gluten/dairy. I just had one mouthful, then ate some almonds/dried fruit I'd brought along with me, and 45 minutes later, had D (I went a glorious three weeks without it, this was a frustrating disappointment).

So, what do you think? Can one mouthful cause a reaction? Or should I suspect a virus (I am always worrying about viruses) instead (or the fact that it's that time of the month.. sorry about TMI)? It couldn't have been anything else I ate, I only had the same old normal stuff today. (I did have a potato for the first time in a while yesterday, but that was almost 24 hours ago and my stomach was just fine until this afternoon. I really don't think I have a problem with potatoes, but I am not absolutely positive.)

Any advice and insight helps. Thank you so much.

This is a bit gross, but did your friend drink from it first? Does s/he eat gluten?

Of course a mouthful could cause a problem if you have an allergy or intolerance. Could it be sugar? High fructose corn syrup?

dilettantesteph - No, I never eat or drink after people. I should have clarified that, sorry.

Juliebove - Definitely not sugar, and I don't think I have a problem with high fructose corn syrup. The only thing that it seems like it could be is carbonation.

Do your gluten symptoms always happen immediately? Mine take about three days to appear.

Sodas are typically acidic. Lots of people, non Celiacs, have issues with them.

Are acidic foods a problem for you?

Lori2, I have never actually found out... since going gluten-free two months ago I have avoided gluten completely.

pricklypear1971 - Not to my knowledge. I drink orange juice every day and no problems.

Even when healthy before gluten-free I've had problems with soda. I keep Coke in the house, I keep it warm and add ice cubes. I can't have it late at night and 1 out of 4 times I have bathroom issues within 10 - 15 minutes. I think for me it has something to do with the carbonation. Try ice tea or juice while your out next time.

I also cannot drink orange juice, too much acid.

Lori2, I have never actually found out... since going gluten-free two months ago I have avoided gluten completely.

pricklypear1971 - Not to my knowledge. I drink orange juice every day and no problems.

I can drink oj, too, as well as coffee. But if I drink more than one soda a week I burn my stomach and then can't eat any acidic foods at all.

Lots of people have issues with soda. I would just take it at face value unless you notice a pattern with other foods.