kimy

Blood Test Results

Rate this topic

My blood test results are

IgA 467 range is 82-453

TTG Ab IgA 6 range is 0-19 units

I see where my ttg is negative, but why is my IgA elevated? I have decided to go gluten free anyway to see if symptoms go away.

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me

My blood test results are

IgA 467 range is 82-453

TTG Ab IgA 6 range is 0-19 units

I see where my ttg is negative, but why is my IgA elevated? I have decided to go gluten free anyway to see if symptoms go away.

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me

The range of your IgA looks like the "total serum IgA". That is a measure of immune activity, it is not celiac specific. A higher level shows your immune system is functioning normally.

They test it because there are some people who do not produce IgA, they are labeled "IgA deficient". The standard celiac tests will not be accurate for those people. One who is IgA deficient needs a different set of tests.

A negative Ttg does not tell you that gluten is okay for you. You could be non-celiac gluten intolerant and suffer many of the same symptoms as a celiac, minus the damaged villi. And, some people have negative bloodwork but definitely do have celiac based on biopsy.

It's a little confusing at first! The best test is not a lab, but a good run at living gluten free. NOT "gluten light". You will know from your physical responses if the diet helps you and the great thing is, you don't need a doctor's permission to eat gluten free!