alicewa

Is It Possible To Get A Negative Dgp But A Positive Endoscopy?

Rate this topic

Is it possible to get a negative DGP but a positive endoscopy for celiac disease?

I've heard DGP is more sensitive for celiac than the other blood tests and it's spot-on with specificity.

Just wondered if people can be missed with the DGP like they can with the tTG and EMA?

People can be missed with DGP. It's good but far from perfect.

Is it possible to get a negative DGP but a positive endoscopy for celiac disease?

I've heard DGP is more sensitive for celiac than the other blood tests and it's spot-on with specificity.

Just wondered if people can be missed with the DGP like they can with the tTG and EMA?

As I am finding out, there may be more things to consider. I don't know if you are asking specifically because of your own experiences, but it is possible there is something different from celiac going on.

I've just discovered a condition called Common Variable Immunodeficiency (CVID). It does what it says, presents deficiency of immunoglobulins. If you are deficient in both IgA and IgG as my mom just turned out to be, you won't get a diagnosis for celiac even with deamidated gliadin tests.

On top of that, if they biopsy the intestine, CVID presents damaged villi almost identical to celiac damage. There are slight differences, but given the rarity of CVID, the doc won't necessarily catch on; they won't be thinking about something that happens to one in 6,000. So, while CVID looks like celiac, it will NOT respond to a gluten free diet thought the symptoms will be the same.

CVID responds only to steroid therapy.

You can google CVID (or the full name), or google it combined with celiac, you'll get enough reading material to keep you busy for a while.