Rate this topic

Today I had a glucose test that showed I am pre-diabetic and doc believes this is the reason for my pins & needles, all my eyes issues, some of my numbness and tingling......all of which I have been dealing with for 3 years. I don't quite understand why a reular diabetes blood test didn't pick it up, I have had 2 in the past year. I had gestational diabetes with my last pg when I was 34 and they told me then I would probably have it later in life and here I am at 49.

When I had the gestational diabetes I was able to control it by diet and did fine. I plan to do the same but could use and tips and any of you could provide. Did you try and natural methods to stablize your glucose levels? That is what I am having issues with and that is what is making me so sick right now is my glucose levels are high and then duck to low.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, although I guess it is better to find out "pre" rather than "post". The paleo diet community seems to have a lot to say about insulin sensitivity or insulin resistance. They assert that our high-grain western diet over time impairs our natural ability to metabolize glucose, resulting in higher levels of insulin flowing through our bloodstream. This apparently results in cells that develop a resistance to insulin and causes a myriad of associated health consequences, such as type 2 diabeties. I presume you have already cut out excess sugar and the gluten grains but you might consider cutting all grains and dairy and replacing with more lean meats, fish, and vegetables.

Another option is from a book I am reading. It is an exercise book. The authors assert that we can repair our insulin sensitivity with weight lifting. Similar to paleo, they assert that our constant overfed high-glycemic state of being and our lack of strenuous work results in muscle cells that are constantly full of glycogen and thus learn to resist the effects of insulin. They further assert that weight lifting taps into the glycogen stores in the muscles and frees up space which the body then needs to replenish. This apparently improves insulin sensitivity and improves overall health.

Both seem like compelling concepts to explore, IMHO. Good luck!

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, although I guess it is better to find out "pre" rather than "post". The paleo diet community seems to have a lot to say about insulin sensitivity or insulin resistance. They assert that our high-grain western diet over time impairs our natural ability to metabolize glucose, resulting in higher levels of insulin flowing through our bloodstream. This apparently results in cells that develop a resistance to insulin and causes a myriad of associated health consequences, such as type 2 diabeties. I presume you have already cut out excess sugar and the gluten grains but you might consider cutting all grains and dairy and replacing with more lean meats, fish, and vegetables.

Another option is from a book I am reading. It is an exercise book. The authors assert that we can repair our insulin sensitivity with weight lifting. Similar to paleo, they assert that our constant overfed high-glycemic state of being and our lack of strenuous work results in muscle cells that are constantly full of glycogen and thus learn to resist the effects of insulin. They further assert that weight lifting taps into the glycogen stores in the muscles and frees up space which the body then needs to replenish. This apparently improves insulin sensitivity and improves overall health.

Both seem like compelling concepts to explore, IMHO. Good luck!

Very interesting, I will look into the diet. I used to left weights years ago and this sound like the perfect opportunity to start again and see if it makes a difference. Thank you for the info!

Exercise helps get rid of the excess sugar or something like that. Resistance is better than cardio. Im going off memory here, sorry....on my iPhone.

I found ditching grains in general helps. Eat veggies out your ears. Fiber fiber fiber with protein. If you eat a sugar eat it with fiber and protein - so bake with nuts and beans.

When my sugar swings more than 15 points I feel it. Swings are the worst. Start testing your bg. You will start to see patterns. Keep a food diary and it will become clearer.

Make sure they test you for type 1 antibodies, don't let them assume you are type 2.

If you feel hypo you may need a touch of glucose to stabilize. I eat half a low gci Kind bar, or 32 Ghiradelli semi sweet chocolate chips (1 serving - actually, I only need about half). If I don't correct the hypo I will eat all day (veggies, meats, etc. trying to correct without success). My bg doesn't go below 60 but if I'm in the 60's I feel hypo.

It's the swings. Ick.

Exercise helps get rid of the excess sugar or something like that. Resistance is better than cardio. Im going off memory here, sorry....on my iPhone.

I found ditching grains in general helps. Eat veggies out your ears. Fiber fiber fiber with protein. If you eat a sugar eat it with fiber and protein - so bake with nuts and beans.

When my sugar swings more than 15 points I feel it. Swings are the worst. Start testing your bg. You will start to see patterns. Keep a food diary and it will become clearer.

Make sure they test you for type 1 antibodies, don't let them assume you are type 2.

If you feel hypo you may need a touch of glucose to stabilize. I eat half a low gci Kind bar, or 32 Ghiradelli semi sweet chocolate chips (1 serving - actually, I only need about half). If I don't correct the hypo I will eat all day (veggies, meats, etc. trying to correct without success). My bg doesn't go below 60 but if I'm in the 60's I feel hypo.

It's the swings. Ick.

Prickly, thanks for the reply! Without knowing what was going on my body was figuring out part of what you are saying here so I am not totally lost. I think this is why I got so sick and ended up in ER last time, I don't think it was migraine auras. Do you have nueropathy due to your diabetes? I have several different sources where I could be feeling symptoms of nerve damage, I just trying to figure what is linked to what. I did buy a meter and read on how to use it. Bought a book and have made an appt with a dietician to try and put this all together.

I don't have neuropathy, as far as I can tell (except, maybe from horse injuries :)).

I do have some shaking in my hands which I think is related to vitamin deficiencies.

I haven't been dx'ed with diabetes - in fact I've been told I am NOT diabetic. I am requesting t1 antibody testing, though, because I wonder if my hypoglycemia symptoms are an early indicator.

My ND is thinking adrenal issues, and some reading I've done hints that way - Endos that talk about t1 and hypoglycemia, specifically. I think it's a 50/50 toss up.

Anyway, I do know exercise helps me, eating low sugar helps, and avoiding swings helps. Ironically, good advice all around for all ai diseases. So I guess there's no harm, right??