CrockAlley

What To Have/not Have Aside Form Gluten-Free

Rate this topic

Aside from the obvious gluten-related foods, what is good/bad for recovery? I've read about eating simple/whole/bland foods, or foods that won't further irritate the intestines. Is it true that a strict gluten-free diet is not enough? Also, I'm a vegetarian, so that limits my choices.

Thanks for any help!

Whether or not a strict gluten-free diet is sufficient depends entirely on the individual. It was all I needed (and I was EXTREMELY ill), but others discover they have other intolerances, such as dairy. I also didn't need bland foods. However, there's no question that you're best off with basic unprocessed food to start off with.

richard

I had to avoid dairy for many months (some celiacs have a secondary temporary lactose intolerance) and because I had a severely burning GI tract, I had to avoid citrus, soy, coffee, eggs, alcohol, sugar, chocolate and too many acidic foods. I had a rough time for many months after DX and I had a pretty bland diet for awhile and gradually tried adding back in foods. But I made sure I ate enough protein because my blood sugars were so erratic and I ate frequently throughout the day. I was very sick and weak at DX and my recovery has been very slow.

But now, I am feeling much better and eat pretty much everything I want in moderation. :)

I used digestive enzymes and probiotics to help heal my gut and to digest fats . I also had several vitamin deficiencies (b-12, folate, D ) which required supplementation but they have resolved and I am no longer anemic.

But that was MY experience and as Richard says, everyone is different.

If you can tolerate most foods and have no other digestive issues or food intolerances, then you are lucky ;) and should enjoy all the safe & healthy foods you like.

I am sure you know how to incorporate enough protein in your diet (as a vegetarian) so you can avoid the common B-12 deficiency that afflicts both celiacs and vegetarians/vegans.

Best wishes to you!

I only had problems with dairy for a short time. 1 or 2 months. But I have a big problem with soy --- gives me gas, BAD bloat & belching.

Thanks for the replies. I saw my gastroenterologist today, and he agrees with some of the above posts. He interprets my symptoms as possible lactose intolerance and excess acid.

Background: I've had about two-months-of-the-year minor abdominal discomfort and gas for the last five years. I was diagnosed with celiac three months ago, and have been gluten-free since, and feeling fine.

Last week, I had a spike in abdominal discomfort. A lot of places on the Internet suggest "taking it easy" while healing the intestines (bland diet, low fiber, low sugars, tons of other suggestions). I passed this by my doc, and he would not advise it, saying gluten-free should be enough (with the caveat that I take lactaid and avoid acidic foods to help with my dyspepsia).

But it sounds like my problems are typical, not extreme. Thanks again!

I passed this by my doc, and he would not advise it, saying gluten-free should be enough (with the caveat that I take lactaid and avoid acidic foods to help with my dyspepsia).

But it sounds like my problems are typical, not extreme. Thanks again!

He has given you the "standard" advice and he is probably correct--if those are your only symptoms.

My doctor advised me to stay off lactose for "as long as you can stand it" :) , but if you can take the lactaid pills and do all right with dairy in your diet, then Go for it!

I hope your healing goes smoothly. If you run into problems, you can always take out the offending foods for a short time and add them back in later. It's all a matter of time.

Only YOU know what works best for you!