marys2012

False Positive?

Rate this topic

I recently posted my blood test results for celiacs disease. I met with my doctor today who said the positive test that I got was most likely a false positive and that I probably don't have celiacs. But he did give me another blood test today. It was called an endomysial Ab. The test that I showed positive for before was Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 76 High units (>30 is moderate to strong positive. The others were negative. Has anyone else had any experience like this showing a false positive? I'm so frustrated because I had hope as to maybe finding out what is wrong with me.

I recently posted my blood test results for celiacs disease. I met with my doctor today who said the positive test that I got was most likely a false positive and that I probably don't have celiacs. But he did give me another blood test today. It was called an endomysial Ab. The test that I showed positive for before was Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 76 High units (>30 is moderate to strong positive. The others were negative. Has anyone else had any experience like this showing a false positive? I'm so frustrated because I had hope as to maybe finding out what is wrong with me.

I would find Skylark's response more accurate than that of your doctor:

It means you need a biopsy. DGP-IgA, your positive test, indicates celiac most of the time but not always. There is a little question in your case because all the other tests are negative. Sometimes people with only DGP-IgA have no damage when the biopsy is done. That's probably why your doctor hasn't commented and referred you to a GI.

Your immune system is recognizing gluten and even if your doctor decides you don't have celiac right now, you would be at serious risk for getting it. Once you have your biopsy you should try gluten-free. I bet it will help you feel better. :)

I think you have joined our club! B) But, I would request an endoscopy exam before trying the gluten free diet. If you choose not to pursue further testing, go gluten free.

Today I am getting ready to start the eat clean diet! I am going to make sure I substitute gluten ingredients with non gluten ones. Forget the doctors and what they say....I definately have food issues. I pray this will make my ibs and fibromyalgia feel much better! I can't wait to start talking gluten free food stuff with people on this site! I love it. Thanks for the support I have already been given!

Today I am getting ready to start the eat clean diet! I am going to make sure I substitute gluten ingredients with non gluten ones. Forget the doctors and what they say....I definately have food issues. I pray this will make my ibs and fibromyalgia feel much better! I can't wait to start talking gluten free food stuff with people on this site! I love it. Thanks for the support I have already been given!

Mary, I know you're excited for maybe having an answer but you need to stay on gluten for a little longer. You will probably need a biopsy since your tests are not clear and it's best to be eating gluten when it's done to be sure the results are accurate.

By the way, the endomysial your doctor ordered is always caused by celiac but it's not as sensitive as your positive DGP-IgA. It might come back negative. If it does, you still need to ask for a referral to a GI and see about getting a biopsy done.