mandyblue

I Think This Maybe The Answer.

Rate this topic

Yes, your reaction sounds like an allergy. That all-over itching was probably a systemic reaction to something in your pasta. Maybe wheat, maybe tomatoes, maybe herbs in the sauce. Big systemic reactions can escalate to the point where they are very dangerous. I am a little concerned for your safety. Will your insurance cover a referral to an allergist?

Celiac is also a possibility but you would need to keep eating wheat to get celiac testing. Celiac reactions to wheat are not typically immediate itching - that's allergy - but it is possible to have both. It would be good if you could get celiac tested scheduled quickly, so you're not off gluten for more than a week or two at most.

The itchy skin and watery eyes sound like more of an allergic reaction. It may be worthwhile to be tested for wheat allergy in a medical setting.

If you really think this may be your issue, I advise steering very clear of wheat until you get it figured out. Mild allergies can ramp up without warning and you don't want to be in that situation.

Have you tried antihistimes? There are two classes - try both and see if one helps to relieve your symptoms (again, I wouldn't eat wheat without a doctor's supervision).

I know I sound dire, but there are people on this board with wheat allergies and they have very strong reactions. If you think you are gluten intolerant or Celiac (which may be an issue in conjunction with an allergy) you can be tested for that too.

In summary, yes, if you notice you eat gluten and feel sleepy and have stomach problems and are tired those are some symptoms of Celiac or NCGI.

I think Skylark and I posted at the same time :).

Do what she says.

Yes, and we said pretty much the same thing. :)

Thank you both very much. I noticed the rest of the day that when I ate a meal with wheat I felt really low energy, but after about 4-5 hours I was back to my old self again. Maybe it takes this long to get out of my system? My least meal what wheat free and I feel fine now...

I'm going to call my doctor in the morning to see about getting tested (just has several blood tests done 2 months ago to find out why I was so tired and everything was "normal"). Went to the store to pick up some food that are gluten free since I dont have much of that in the house. Looks like veggies, rice, meat, and fruit for tomorrow! :-)

I would also (and this is the slightly paranoid person I am) tell someone at work, home, your "in case of emergency" person that you suspect a wheat allergy.

It may come in handy if you accidentally get into something.

I would also (and this is the slightly paranoid person I am) tell someone at work, home, your "in case of emergency" person that you suspect a wheat allergy.

It may come in handy if you accidentally get into something.

Great point. I have told several people I work with, I'm a little bit of a paranoid person, so even if I take something for a headache I tell someone I work with in case something happens.

Quick question, I'm at the end of day 3, my gas is GONE, my tummy is nice and flat since I'm not bloated and have no tummy cramps, but I think my energy is lower then before. Is this normal? Wondering if it's one of those its going to get worse before it gets better things? I did go to the market and picked up some gluten free bread so I can get back to my daily turkey sandwiches. :) Also found gluten free ranch dressing!!!!