This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Like Reaction To Sorghum?

birdie22

cyclinglady Grand Master
58 minutes ago, Zenith said:

You are NOT alone. I am going to a allergist soon to see if I have a problem with CORN, RICE, MILLET or SORGHUM. I keep getting glutening-like  symptoms too without severe IBS or bloating.

Those gluten free brownies I been eating has those in it.

For celiacs, the four big ones that most can't handle are the above. Stay healthy. I know this post is old.

Not true.  Celiacs can tolerate rice well.  It is the one grain that is definitely safe for 99% of celiacs.  Many celiacs do have issues with corn based on reports from Celiac.com members.   Some celiacs may have issues with millet and sorghum just as I can not have garlic or onions.  It is a personal and unique intolerance.  Not common at all unlike a soy, lactose or corn intolerance (though soy is also one of the top eight allergens recognized by most governments).    

https://farrp.unl.edu/informallbig8

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Zenith Explorer
14 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Not true.  Celiacs can tolerate rice well.  It is the one grain that is definitely safe for 99% of celiacs.  Many celiacs do have issues with corn based on reports from Celiac.com members.   Some celiacs may have issues with millet and sorghum just as I can not have garlic or onions.  It is a personal and unique intolerance.  Not common at all unlike a soy, lactose or corn intolerance (though soy is also one of the top eight allergens recognized by most governments).    

https://farrp.unl.edu/informallbig8

OK I was just going off of what that guy said on youtube. Let me get his name. He named the four big ones.

I think he is an   N D doc. Dr Osborne.  He named off the big 4.

cyclinglady Grand Master
47 minutes ago, Zenith said:

OK I was just going off of what that guy said on youtube. Let me get his name. He named the four big ones.

I think he is an   N D doc. Dr Osborne.  He named off the big 4.

I am not saying he is a quack, but this doctor is a chiropractor by training.  He is into nutrition and he wants to sell his books.  He does no research and is not a recognized celiac disease researcher.  Get your information from leading celiac disease research centers.  Ones that are not trying to sell you something.  Or get information from the non-profits supporting celiac disease research and guidance.  This list is pretty decent:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/celiac-disease/living-with/best-websites-people-living-with-celiac-disease/

You will notice that Dr. Osborne is not on this list. 

GFinDC Veteran
6 hours ago, Zenith said:

You are NOT alone. I am going to a allergist soon to see if I have a problem with CORN, RICE, MILLET or SORGHUM. I keep getting glutening-like  symptoms too without severe IBS or bloating.

Those gluten free brownies I been eating has those in it.

For celiacs, the four big ones that most can't handle are the above. Stay healthy. I know this post is old.

Hi zenith,

You may not get much help from an allergist.  Celiac disease is not an allergy.  It might be more helpful to do an elimination diet.

Edited by GFinDC
Zenith Explorer
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 6:14 PM, cyclinglady said:

I am not saying he is a quack, but this doctor is a chiropractor by training.  He is into nutrition and he wants to sell his books.  He does no research and is not a recognized celiac disease researcher.  Get your information from leading celiac disease research centers.  Ones that are not trying to sell you something.  Or get information from the non-profits supporting celiac disease research and guidance.  This list is pretty decent:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/celiac-disease/living-with/best-websites-people-living-with-celiac-disease/

There is  NO support group in my town?  doesn't look like it. Sad!!!!   Hey for sure you are RIGHT.  I am allergic to CORN!!!  Maybe rice too. I only became sensitive to corn and rice the past 3 months. The first 3months after giving up gluten I was fine.   I would eat the brownie (half a brownie or Aldis), with my EVOL meal for months and I was fine .  It has nothing but corn and rice in it and black beans.    I ate that last night before bed, but no brownie and watermelon and I started to react 2 hours later when I went to bed. I will tell my allergist doc that , hopefully she isn' t a   quack.  I think they can do antibodies test too for corn or rice or whatever. This disease is some ****** up  ****.   Dr. Osborne I don't know much about but he is knowledgeable. I am NOT going to eat any grains at all and I know now we were NEVER meant to eat grains as humans and hybrids. lol I won't talk about that.  If you look up wheat it says,  the PLANT does NOT want to be eaten. It is ALIVE just like all living creatures.  SO as a defense mechanism, it develops the TWO toxic proteins that celiacs can't handle. 

Toxic!!!  

I actually did have a bad experience with a quack, chiropractor that just wanted money and wanted to put  electrical probes all over my head  19 times (twice per week) at  $92.00 a whack. I never went back.     So I can't eat anything with a slight corn ingredient in it as well?   I notice the reactions are bad but not as bad as eaten wheat gluten.

Why does my dumb salad dressing from Aldis  say " Food starch" . Normally it would say corn starch. I seem to do fine on that. Do I need to give that up too? For now I am.   Yeah I think Dr Osborne has a book called Grains and NO pains,  sounds interesting but I don't like to read.  But  I do know those cheap wal mart chips even though they were corn, ( I was fine with corn back then) ,  was contaminated with too much wheat gluten. Took me 6 weeks for my body to stabilize with that glutening .  Now that I gave up wheat gluten, my pituitary gland is better and  I don't have as much  low blood sugar issues and  I can handle the sun better and  chemical smells.

But now I feel like crap and got no sleep from getting glutened on CORN. My appointment with allergist is on the 6th.  My stomache hurts too but not too bad.  Nice talking to you.

Zenith Explorer
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:52 PM, GFinDC said:

Hi zenith,

You may not get much help from an allergist.  Celiac disease is not an allergy.  It might be more helpful to do an elimination diet.

Yes and somebody else told me that as well. But I figured what the heck.  Yes for sure I do NOT eat corn or rice or ANY grains anymore since  I just figured it out I can't handle corn and or rice.  I kept getting glutened on rice and corn.   lol    SO I am eliminating all grains now. I will just live on potatoes.

cyclinglady Grand Master
45 minutes ago, Zenith said:

There is  NO support group in my town?  doesn't look like it. Sad!!!!   Hey for sure you are RIGHT.  I am allergic to CORN!!!  Maybe rice too. I only became sensitive to corn and rice the past 3 months. The first 3months after giving up gluten I was fine.   I would eat the brownie (half a brownie or Aldis), with my EVOL meal for months and I was fine .  It has nothing but corn and rice in it and black beans.    I ate that last night before bed, but no brownie and watermelon and I started to react 2 hours later when I went to bed. I will tell my allergist doc that , hopefully she isn' t a   quack.  I think they can do antibodies test too for corn or rice or whatever. This disease is some ****** up  ****.   Dr. Osborne I don't know much about but he is knowledgeable. I am NOT going to eat any grains at all and I know now we were NEVER meant to eat grains as humans and hybrids. lol I won't talk about that.  If you look up wheat it says,  the PLANT does NOT want to be eaten. It is ALIVE just like all living creatures.  SO as a defense mechanism, it develops the TWO toxic proteins that celiacs can't handle. 

Toxic!!!  

I actually did have a bad experience with a quack, chiropractor that just wanted money and wanted to put  electrical probes all over my head  19 times (twice per week) at  $92.00 a whack. I never went back.     So I can't eat anything with a slight corn ingredient in it as well?   I notice the reactions are bad but not as bad as eaten wheat gluten.

Why does my dumb salad dressing from Aldis  say " Food starch" . Normally it would say corn starch. I seem to do fine on that. Do I need to give that up too? For now I am.   Yeah I think Dr Osborne has a book called Grains and NO pains,  sounds interesting but I don't like to read.  But  I do know those cheap wal mart chips even though they were corn, ( I was fine with corn back then) ,  was contaminated with too much wheat gluten. Took me 6 weeks for my body to stabilize with that glutening .  Now that I gave up wheat gluten, my pituitary gland is better and  I don't have as much  low blood sugar issues and  I can handle the sun better and  chemical smells.

But now I feel like crap and got no sleep from getting glutened on CORN. My appointment with allergist is on the 6th.  My stomache hurts too but not too bad.  Nice talking to you.

I hope your allergist can help you.  Together, you might be able to come up with a plan for healing!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Zenith Explorer
6 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I hope your allergist can help you.  Together, you might be able to come up with a plan for healing!  

I just looked up the symptoms of corn allergy. And I was having symptoms even 4 months ago but I don't think 6 months ago but maybe so.  Bad weird head ache,  itching, runny NOSE, that was a big one, and itching around the mouth.  But the others was the immune attack to my stomach. Slight  mild IBS. And the peeing a lot and dehydration and hypoglycemia feeling. I wondered why several months ago before the COVID stuff, before I got laid off for 3 months at work, right above the mouth was tingly feeling when I was sitting at my desk.  I thought maybe it was the makeup powder. But the big one was runny nose and of course the jitters and wiring my brain where I got NO SLEEP right when I laid down for the night all night.

• 3 months later...
marc9803 Apprentice
On 6/24/2020 at 12:14 AM, cyclinglady said:

I read a book called, No Grain, No Pain, by Dr. Peter Osborne and he makes a good point about other grains and gluten. I don't think he is a quack. 

He argues on that book that gluten is not a single protein found in a few grains; rather, it refers to a huge family of proteins-- and only one protein, gliadin, found in wheat, barley and rye has been extensively studied. Each grain has one or more types of gluten proteins. A recent study identified four hundred new forms of gluten-- forty of which were more damaging than the form of gluten, for which doctors most commonly tested. 

He further states that all grains contain gluten, including corn, which produces numerous intestinal and health problems for the gluten sensitive. 

He then shows a big table with all gluten in other grains and  mentions that sorghum's primary form of gluten is kafirin and has 52 gluten of the total percentage of protein. 

He also points to studies done in several countries, where celiac patients only improved when they removed all grains from their diet. Another known author, Dr. Davis, also mentions to cut rice and other grains. 

• 1 year later...
Mymander19 Newbie
On 4/29/2012 at 9:14 AM, dilettantesteph said:

I am very sensitive so I buy my grains whole and sort and wash them. I have come across gluten grains as well as corn in my sorghum. I contacted the supplier and they used shared harvesting equipment. They said that they spend two days taking the harvester apart and cleaning it, and they use the first bit for animal feed. I guess they still managed to miss some. It must be really hard on farmers to try to provide grains free from cc.

I'm sorry. I am new to this, and am having a sorgham issue, but what does the acronym "cc" stand for?

trents Grand Master

"cc" stands for cross contamination and it can apply to any food product that comes in contact with a gluten containing grain (wheat, barely, rye) in growing, harvesting, storage, production or handling during food preparation.