gfreejimmy

Gluten-Free Restaurants - Trustworthy Or Risky?

Rate this topic

Gluten-Free Restaurants - Trustworthy or Risky?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. When you want to dine out (or you HAVE to dine out for work/travel) how do you decide where to go?

• I ask my celiac and gluten-intolerant friends to recommend a place
    • I check www.celiac.com!
    • I look at restaurant websites before I go out
    • I just ask the waiter / waitress / manager when I get there
    • I check 'other' websites
    • I take my chances
  2. 2. How cautious are you when you try a 'new' gluten-free restaurant?

• Very cautious! I wait to see other people's experiences first.
    • Somewhat cautious. I will speak with waiter/waitress/manager before ordering.
    • Not too cautious. They wouldn't advertise it if they didn't know what they were doing..
    • Forget it! I only eat at places that I know won't make me sick!
  3. 3. Do you think there are enough gluten-free restaurants in your area

My sister was diagnosed as being Celiac 4 years ago. My mother suspects that she is gluten intolerant but her tests were in-conclusive. I'm already preparing myself for a gluten-free diet & lifestyle. I like getting feedback from others that have lived with this condition so I know what to expect, and so I can support my mom and sister more :)

Thanks,

Jimmy

My sister was diagnosed as being Celiac 4 years ago. My mother suspects that she is gluten intolerant but her tests were in-conclusive. I'm already preparing myself for a gluten-free diet & lifestyle. I like getting feedback from others that have lived with this condition so I know what to expect, and so I can support my mom and sister more :)

Thanks,

Jimmy

I did not take your poll, because I use multiple reasons to choose a restaurant and then, how I proceed when I get there.

I make the best choice I can with the most information available to me when I choose an entree. IF, I do get ill, I can only blame MY choices. I don't fault the restaurant unless they were blatantly negligent. But, even still, I am the responsible party. I choose what I put into my mouth.

I'm not too sure that was helpful, but honest. I generally feel very comfortable ordering in a variety of restaurants. It has taken years to find that comfort level, though. B)

My experience is a bit like Lisa's. For the first five years after my diagnosis, I was a frequent business traveller. Sometimes there was an easy choice. Outback Steakhouse on an expense account was not too painful. :lol:

Many times it was a matter of looking at possible options, and talking to the people in the restaurant. Higher end places were usually more likely to understand and work with me, even if they did not have a "gluten-free" menu. The low end chains like IHOP and Denny's were much riskier, so I tried to find other options. But it really comes down to the people at the specific location.

What Lisa and Peter said. :P