Rate this topic

I have had GI issues for about 15 years now. For a long time I would think it was a certain food(s) then cut it out of my diet. For example, ranch dressing on salad, Alfredo sauce on pasta, dips when I was eating chips or crackers.

The weird thing is that after I had both of my children, my symptoms went away for about 2 years or so. I got to a point where I wasn't eating anything except bread products but was still getting sick and couldn't figure out why.

I finally sucked it up and went to my regular dr who said based on my symptoms (basically just D not a ton of stomach pain or other issues) that it was IBS. Then she asked me if I had noticed any foods lately that we're bothering me. Once I said that I knew bagels gave me an issues. Once I said that she said that it could be celiac and sent me to have an endoscopy done.

While waiting to visit the GI dr and then for the endoscopy I tried going off gluten for a few days before reading that I shouldn't do that until I was diagnosed. So I went back to it but only a little bit every day. A couple days ago I had a lot of gluten and man did I pay for it within a few hrs.

I had my endoscopy today and have to wait for the biopsy results. But I thought they could tell from looking that it was celiac? What do you guts think? Does this sound like celiac or IBS?

Is sounds like it could be Celiac. What did your Celiac blood tests show? They usually do those before an endo. The damage is considered microscopic. They take samples ( biopsies) that are sent to a Patholgist to look at.

I'm not sure about the blood test results. My regular dr office you have to go back for results - wont do over phone - and I wasn't that concerned with them because of how many false negatives there are.

I'm not sure about the blood test results. My regular dr office you have to go back for results - wont do over phone - and I wasn't that concerned with them because of how many false negatives there are.

Can you call the doctor's office, who ordered the blood tests, and go pick up a copy?

If you've already had the celiac panel and the biopsy, you can go gluten-free right now without waiting for the pathology report as going gluten-free won't interfere with any other testing your doctors may want to do. When you have your follow-up appointment with your GI doctor, make sure you pick up a copy of the pathology report, too.

Edit: IBS is pretty much a non-diagnosis. It's a symptom of something and for those of us with digestive issues, it pretty well spells out celiac to me (IMHO)

Edited by sa1937