This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Look Like Dh?

Hellothere

Hellothere Newbie

I had this neck rash about 3 years ago (came up after we were at the beach) and took forever to go away (like months) and then it popped up a few weeks ago. I did an ANA test for a lupus screen, and it came back negative. I took Cyrex labs tests, and I posted the results on the testing board (I dont know how to interpret them).

The chin stuff is supposedly acne, but it itches SO SO BAD! I'm not sure it is acne. I've been on Retin-A for my face for about 4 months now and my face is finally starting to clear except from this chin stuff.

The neck stuff bothers me. They get filled with fluid and then pop and get funky edges and then seem to settle down in the red discus shape and then flatten out.

I also have something on my left palm... seems to look like palmoplanter psorasis. I have an appointment with a functional medicine doctor in 3 weeks.

I appreciate any advice.

DH.png

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

It's really not a close enough picture to accurately see the lesions...

But all I can really say is that DH looks different person to person. But it tends to act very similar. Is it responsive to gluten/gluten withdrawal, iodine, salicylates? Does it itch more at night than during the day? Does it itch like crazy? Does it seem to go in some sort of 2-3 week cycle (new outbreaks start during that time, but one lesion lasts approximately that long)?

If you suspect it is dh then your best bet is a dermatologist experienced at biopsying dh.

ciamarie Rookie

As I recall, acne doesn't itch but DH sure does! When I had it on my face (thinking it was a weird adult acne) I used calamine lotion on it in the evening so I wouldn't scratch. I recall it did help. Then I also started using proactive solution and that helped clear some of it up. It didn't go away completely until I stopped eating wheat. You might want to see a dermatologist instead, or in addition, but you'd want to have a 'fresh' lesion for them to take a biopsy on clear skin next to the lesion(s); from what I've read. Which means, you'd need to continue to eat gluten, if you want a biopsy and possible dx from that.

Hellothere Newbie

As I recall, acne doesn't itch but DH sure does! When I had it on my face (thinking it was a weird adult acne) I used calamine lotion on it in the evening so I wouldn't scratch. I recall it did help. Then I also started using proactive solution and that helped clear some of it up. It didn't go away completely until I stopped eating wheat. You might want to see a dermatologist instead, or in addition, but you'd want to have a 'fresh' lesion for them to take a biopsy on clear skin next to the lesion(s); from what I've read. Which means, you'd need to continue to eat gluten, if you want a biopsy and possible dx from that.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking: he may want to do other tests that would require a certain level of reaction on inflammation. And see a derm soon to get the rashes treated ASAP!

Hellothere Newbie

Yeah, that is what I was thinking: he may want to do other tests that would require a certain level of reaction on inflammation. And see a derm soon to get the rashes treated ASAP!

The itchiness and cycling sounds like what I have on my palm.

It's interesting you have that on your palm. The first rash I had was when I was little -6?

It was on my palm. They decided it was herpes whitlow - but it didn't do what whitlow usually does - spread to everyone and other places, and it wasn't on my finger tips. I never broke out that bad again, but saw little bumps several times - managed to baby them and they went away.

I got the flu a few months ago and got about 5 little lumps and one finally broke out. And guess what it is??? DH. But it isn't on my palm, it's on my pinkie.

I don't remember how my original palm lesion looked - I was too little, but herpes whitlow is a differential of DH.

NEITHER is supposed to occur on your palm. But here I am...

Hellothere Newbie

This is the one on my palm... I apologize in advance because it is gross.

photo-1.webp

This is the itchiest of them all. and it cycles. I'd pour acid on it if I thought it would stop the itching... (not going to do that but I assume you all know what I mean).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

This is the one on my palm... I apologize in advance because it is gross.

photo-1.webp

This is the itchiest of them all. and it cycles. I'd pour acid on it if I thought it would stop the itching... (not going to do that but I assume you all know what I mean).

Ouch!

ICE PACKS. It stops the itch. And wear gloves for dishes and handling food - contact with food stops mine from healing, as well as too much washing dishes, etc.

squirmingitch Veteran

Ouch, ouch! We know exactly what you mean with the acid. I said I wanted to take a fillet knife & skin myself.

Mom23boys Contributor

That looks like what my hubby gets.

I've taken it upon myself to diagnose him because the drs have done diddle about it. They just say either Benedryl cream or steroid cream. A cup of coffee works about as good as those.

gluten-free and the rash, snoring, and heartburn go away. In my world, that is enough for him to be gluten-free.

Hellothere Newbie

Thanks. I have a derm appt. On Wednesday.

Thanks. I have a derm appt. On Wednesday.

Print out these tests and procedures and take with you of you're trying for a DH biopsy.

Open Original Shared Link

Di2011 Enthusiast

Your palm looks a lot like mine did but at the moment mine is a little further into the healing stage. You've obviously scratched it as much as I did mine!

I also get DH on the face, most commonly on the chin and forehead around the hair line in particular. But they show up all over me. The only place I haven't had them is the soles of my feet (touch wood) and I am not exaggerating.

The wrist, hands and fingers have probably been the itchiest and most stubborn in terms of healing.

I started using a product by Eulactol called Heel Balm. This is an Australian version but there are similar products around. Flexitol's "Heel Balm" is probably the US based supplier.

It has made a huge difference to the healing around my hands (as soon as they are feeling dry and crusty I apply the Heel Balm) and now use it on my arms once a day. Every now and again I use it elsewhere when I get that same dry/crusty feeling. It seems to help my son by soothing new outbreaks.

Be sure to let us know how you go at the derm appt.

Hellothere Newbie

Thanks, everyone. The derm today said my face and neck is acne and my palm is a form of eczema and my arm is also a form of eczema. This derm is one I had gone to years ago and could get in soon since I am an established patient. The derm I want to go to didn't have a new patient appointment until a few weeks from now, so I am going to keep my appt with her so that I can get established with her.

This derm's nurse said she thought my face and neck was lupus, (though my ANA was negative) but the derm didn't even utter the word Lupus.

He said he didn't think any of it was DH because it wasn't on places DH normally is.

So... creams and antibiotic topicals and a newer form of Minocyclene (for the acne) and another appt. with him in 8 weeks.

He also said I may have gotten Retin-a on my neck, which would cause it to be photosensitive.

IDK. My celiac bloodwork seems to indicate somewhere between wheat intolerance and celiac, and I am doing better on a wheat free diet, so who knows...

Has anyone gotten a DH diagnosis on the first try? I've always been diagnosed with eczema since I was a kid, so maybe it is eczema.

Wanted to follow up....

squirmingitch Veteran

"He didn't think any of it was dh because it wasn't on places dh normally is".

Bad statement. He doesn't know anything about dh --- ie: have any experience with dh. By the book; can't think outside the box. To make blanket statement like that is poor medicine. Like my friend husband who went to the ER with classic appendicitis & they said he couldn't possibly have appendicitis because he was to old to have it. Or like ppl here who are black & have been told they couldn't possibly be celiac because black people don't get celiac. DUUUUUUHHHHH!

Go see the other derm.

Off my rant.

I haven't seen your rest results...but if they lean Celiac did you tell the doctor about them?

And you must be on a gluten-filled diet for all testing -even DH. Unfortunately.

Hellothere Newbie

Oh, really? I didn't realize I had to be on a gluten diet for the DH biopsy.

Yeah, he didn't seem to know what DH looks like. I did mention he could save me an endoscopy if he did a DH biopsy.

(so, yes, I mentioned the word celiac several times).

I don't understand my bloodwork because I did the cyrex testing under the direction of my neighbor and he had an organ transplant two weeks later, so I can't get in touch with him to find out what he thinks. (nor do I want to at this point since he has a lot on his mind. He is doing very very well and will hopefully be home in another 2 months. He also went to the functional medicine doctor, so I am hoping that doctor will understand these test results when I go in two weeks).

Can you put the link to the post here?

Hellothere Newbie

Hi, everyone. I received my cyrex results back today: below are the relevant results.

Array 3

Wheat Germ Agglutinate IgG: out of range 1.60 (reference range .4- 1.3)

Alpha gliadin 17-mer IgG: out of range 1.74 (reference .1- 1.5)

Omega Gliadin 17-mer IgG: equivocal 1.13 (reference .3- 1.2)

Omega gliadin 17-mer IgA: equivocal .98 (reference .1- 1.2)

Gliadin- transglutaminase complex IgG: equivocal 1.14 (reference .3- 1.4)

Array 4 cross reactions:

I know what this one is. Coffee, corn, rice all out of range. Egg and sesame are equivocal.

c reactive protein: 2.7 out of range (reference is .8 point eight)

Thank. Does this point to celiac disease? I'm still waiting for array 2 intestinal permeability.

Hi, everyone. I received my cyrex results back today: below are the relevant results.

Array 3

Wheat Germ Agglutinate IgG: out of range 1.60 (reference range .4- 1.3)

Alpha gliadin 17-mer IgG: out of range 1.74 (reference .1- 1.5)

Omega Gliadin 17-mer IgG: equivocal 1.13 (reference .3- 1.2)

Omega gliadin 17-mer IgA: equivocal .98 (reference .1- 1.2)

Gliadin- transglutaminase complex IgG: equivocal 1.14 (reference .3- 1.4)

Array 4 cross reactions:

I know what this one is. Coffee, corn, rice all out of range. Egg and sesame are equivocal.

c reactive protein: 2.7 out of range (reference is .8 point eight)

Thank. Does this point to celiac disease? I'm still waiting for array 2 intestinal permeability.

Hmm. I have not seen these tests (as they are worded) before. I am not familiar with Cyrex.

I suggest pm'ing a member here, Skylark, to see if she can help you.

Archived