pippa

Fast Reactions To Gluten?

Rate this topic

I am totally new to any kind of forums..! So here goes..

I have just be advised to follow a gluten free diet, after a Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy

I have had bad health and going down hill for about 5 years. Since going gluten free I feel so much better, my IBS is nearly gone, feeling sick everytime I eat is gone, headaches gone,

heart palpitations gone, and so the list goes on.

I am Gluten Intolerant and have been gluten free for about 6 weeks now.

Went out for a meal and had 2 small onion (Indian) patties. I knew as soon as I bit into them that it had flour in it, but thought I would test out my new diet.

wow. next day in the toilet, sweating like mad, mouth full of sularva (sp) and feeling as if about to vomit. came out and was back in the toilet within 3 minutes to repeat the process, felt really wobbly but came right in about 10 minutes.

Then went to friends for tea they cooked a great chicken stirfry, about 20 minutes after finishing it I made a dash to the toilet and went through the same preformance as above, but what shocked my was the speed of the reaction. ( It turned out they used soy sauce in the stirfry)

I feel shocked, because when we dine out etc and I unwittingly eat a tiny bit of gluten I can't go and spend ages in their toilet, plus look like sh..t when I come out. This is crazy. I could live with a reaction the next day, but I now feel unsure about eating at cafe's etc.

I want to know if anyone else gets such a swift violent reaction, and how do you cope with the prospect of taking your own lunch everwhere.

I am missing 'normal' foods, but getting it together and feeling so much better

Look forward to hearing any coments

thanks pippa

I do. I rarely eat out, and I take my food most places.

It takes time to get used to it, but you will come to not miss "real food" so much.

It is just the straw we drew, and there are worse ones. You just have to accept it as your new way of life.

The benefits of feeling fantastic after years of feeling miserable have made it well worth it for me. If they said there was a cure for celiac tomorrow, I wouldn't take it, and I wouldn't trust it. No way would I chance going back to the way I was for 30 years!

Yeah - its usually about 30 mins - to 45 mins for me.

My symptoms are dominantly neuro. I experience a headachey dull feeling and feel "dumb" and confused. It happens pretty quickly... sets in within half an hour of eating.

You're going to have to learn to screen your food much more carefully. Perhaps some Triumph dining cards would help? They are premade instructions you can show to restaurants so they can understand what you can and can't have.

You seem to have a particularly obvious reaction. I don't envy you one bit. I tend to get a headache and then aches and/or upset stomach - with neuro and ai problems for weeks.

I have been gluten free for about 3 months, and still have both reactions.

Sometimes it's the 30 minute later upset stomach and/or headache.

Sometimes it's full body ache 36 hrs later.

I haven't been able to figure out which is going to happen, or why.

Yesterday I ate all "known safe" foods, but my body did a full REJECT of all contents late in the afternoon!

I don't know if the reactions are changing, or did I get into something I was allergic to without knowing it, and can still expect the full body ache tomorrow.

It really does help to know that I'm not alone in this confusion. :blink:

Thanx for the prompt feeback, so its kinda normal to have violent reactions to gluten.

I will need to be careful.

I have been so tired for the last couple of years, no energy. I used to be a fitness nut

so going to the doctors and they are going to run blood tests to check if I need vitiman B 12 injections. HELP Im not a fan of neddles, but to feel great again I will do it.

Allergies are sort of in my family. I am allergic to all shell fish, sulphar, and some antibiotics, now this.

But this will change my world the most, I feel a bit down about it but I am hoping the B12 will give me my spark back.

I can see me packing picnic lunches when we go out on the motorbike now instead of fine coffee stops. Oh well!!!

Glad I found this site I don't know anyone else with gluten intol.

thanx pippa