gizzard

How Much Gluten Before Testing For Antibodies In A Child?

Rate this topic

My 3 1/2 year old daughter has been gluten free since she was 18 months old, when we discovered she was intolerant. We have since found that she has a gene for coeliac disease, and are about to start 6 weeks of gluten to test for coeliac antibodies.

Our family doctor has been a little vague about amounts of gluten to give her. She is clear about 2-3 serves for adults (ie., 15g a serve, or a slice of bread). But I don't think she really knew how much a small child needs - she just said "a few serves a day", but couldn't really say what a serve for a child is. Does anyone know of a guideline?

Thanks

Sarah

I think the Dr's vague because there aren't any real studies about quantity OR duration of a gluten challenge.

Maybe the best you can do is aim for "normal" amounts of gluten.

I'd go into it looking to document the challenge daily, as her response to it must be treated as a test result as valid as any other testing & not all Drs take it that way. Like a diary of food, her comments, behavior, poop issues etc.

Good luck, Sarah.

Well, with each meal, serve a little bit. Breakfast, maybe gluten cereal? Then with lunch maybe 1/2 or 1/4 a slice of bread? Then with supper maybe a cookie for dessert?

Thanks, Tom and Mateto for your responses. Keeping a diary is a very good idea.

Sarah

I think the Dr's vague because there aren't any real studies about quantity OR duration of a gluten challenge.

Maybe the best you can do is aim for "normal" amounts of gluten.

I'd go into it looking to document the challenge daily, as her response to it must be treated as a test result as valid as any other testing & not all Drs take it that way. Like a diary of food, her comments, behavior, poop issues etc.

Good luck, Sarah.

I have seen some recommendations for 0,3 grams of gluten per kg per day, and one for 0,5 grams gluten per kg per day.

You will have to read on the package and do some maths and maybe weigh the bread or pasta

Note that it may take longer than six weeks before antibodies show! Do not let them tell you after six weeks that if the blood test is negative, that it is impossible she is celiac.