1974girl

Horse Camp..safe?

Rate this topic

My 11 year old wants to go to a day horse camp. It's from 9-3. Since she was diagnosed, I haven't really had to think about camp before. DUMB QUESTION: Is hay ok for her to be around? Is gluten in hay form ok?

Most hay is from grasses that are not a source of gluten. On my list of things to worry about at camp, that doesn't make the upper half. Even if the grass is a gluten source, the gluten is concentrated in the seeds and not in the dust from the drying stalks. If she handles the hay directly, washing before eating would be a good idea.

Just to be sure, you could have her change clothes when she gets home and throw them in the wash (probably want to do that anyway).

Depending on the area of the country you are living....feed hay varies.

If she is just taking lessons, she should be okay. If she is grooming, she should have a mask(dust and dander). Because they LOVE to roll around in the grass where many before have pooped.

If she is feeding, she should use gloves and wash up after feeding.

We've had horses for many years and it can be done.Extra precautions need to be made. But it can't replace the love of horses and the great love they bring us. ;)

With precautions, I would think it's a go. B)