Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 5 years ago. I am on a 100% gluten-free diet, and have been for 5 years. I eat very healthy & am in overall great health. I have chronic, unexplained stomach pain, in the epigastric region. I've had an upper GI and abdominal ultrasounds, all normal. I'm on Dexilant & Carafate for GERD, but I'm not so sure that's causing my pain, as the meds don't seem to work. I'm at the end of my rope with this chronic pain that seems to have no apparent cause. I take Levsin or Bentyl to try to help it, but that barely touches the pain. Sometimes I'll go a month with no stomach ache, then I'll have one every day for 2 weeks.

Does anyone else with Celiac disease just have their stomach hurt, even with no gluten? Is it possible that Celiac disease can just cause stomach pain, like other diseases cause headaches?

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 5 years ago. I am on a 100% gluten-free diet, and have been for 5 years. I eat very healthy & am in overall great health. I have chronic, unexplained stomach pain, in the epigastric region. I've had an upper GI and abdominal ultrasounds, all normal. I'm on Dexilant & Carafate for GERD, but I'm not so sure that's causing my pain, as the meds don't seem to work. I'm at the end of my rope with this chronic pain that seems to have no apparent cause. I take Levsin or Bentyl to try to help it, but that barely touches the pain. Sometimes I'll go a month with no stomach ache, then I'll have one every day for 2 weeks.

Does anyone else with Celiac disease just have their stomach hurt, even with no gluten? Is it possible that Celiac disease can just cause stomach pain, like other diseases cause headaches?

I have abdominal pain that they can't find a cause for...it is epigastric. Have been scoped, ultrasound, CT scan, etc. Nothing shows up. Currently I'm on 20mg amitriptyline in the evening which makes allows me to function at a somewhat normal level but I've only had a handful of pain-free days in the last year.

I've been doing some research and while reading about the enteric nervous system found some mention of new research being done, mostly in the context of those who are considered to suffer IBS, where inflammation in the gut (gee, hmmm, maybe from undiagnosed Celiac Disease since my debilitating pain started 3 months prior to diagnosis?) messes up the enteric nervous system and how it conveys messages of pain. Sometimes people seem to feel pain from just normal gut function. Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if this could part of the pain problem I've been having. It is a really new field of study...

From what I've read they have shown cognitive behavior therapy helps some patients deal with the pain. Some have responded to hypnosis. Stress is also supposed to make it worse.

I went grain free in order to get control of my body. There also could be other food intolerances that you may want to consider. Get better soon, please.

I have been gluten free since December of 2011. I just recently went to the ER for pains in my right side. We have not been able to find the problem. I am wondering if it is the same thing. I am not too excited to do more testing, because it always costs so much and we find out nothing. I am sorry for you, but it gives me hope that i may just have to live with it.

I have not posted in quite some time out of frustration, mostly because I have been depressed about my situation and lack of improvement. I have been gluten free for nearly a year, and have had more tests than humanly possible in one year, including 4 EGD's, my biopsies and labs have normalized more than 6 months ago, yet I have been left with persistent 24/7 abdominal pain in the epigastric region that radiates into my back and right rib cage. I have been to some of the most respected Gi docs, and they have absolutely no explanation for my constant pain. Even after having my gallbladder out, the pain is constant. I now live a life of existence. Last year prior to the start of this I was quite possibly one of the healthiest guys I know, and didn't take so much as an occasional motrin. Now I am on chronic narcotics to function and continue to work and take care of my kids, and they just barely take the edge off. I have constant pain, and no it is not cross contamination, it is constant everyday of my life every minute of every day, day and night, with completely now normal labs and biopsies. I have modified my diet from every conceivable fashion, including lactose, you name it and not a stitch of improvement. So I feel your pain, I wish to god someone had any insight into this, as my life has basically been ruined and there are many days when I wonder if I am going to make it. I cannot imagine that my body will hold up for another year feeling like this

Have you done a CDSA (complete digestive stool analysis) test?