Rate this topic

Dear Celiac Community,

I am now 10 weeks gluten-free after celiac diagnosis through biopsy. Just after eliminating gluten, I felt great for a couple of weeks. Now I am experiencing old symptoms of bloating and pretty significant muscle pain, especially in the right side of my neck. I've done a clean sweep of my kitchen, only eating at home, mainly naturally gluten free foods. Just waiting to feel better! Thanks in advance for your feedback, it is much appreciated during this time!

I'm sorry to hear that you still aren't feeling well. Have you eliminated gluten in other aspects of your life? It took months to figure out that I was getting exposed to gluten through hair products, cosmetics, shaving cream, and our dogs' food & treats. I've even gotten sick from licking an envelope, and from drywall compound dust when my husband was renovating our basement! My friend is certain that some brands of cigarettes cause her celiac symptoms. Hopefully you will find that the culprit is some hidden gluten. If not, perhaps you should look into the possibilty that you, like so many of us, may have other food sensitivities. Lactose is a common one, especially in the early days (months!) of healing. Also, remember that many naturally gluten-free foods have been cross-contaminated at some point and are not Gluten-Free! Good luck- hope you get it figured out soon!

If not, perhaps you should look into the possibilty that you, like so many of us, may have other food sensitivities. Lactose is a common one, especially in the early days (months!) of healing. Also, remember that many naturally gluten-free foods have been cross-contaminated at some point and are not Gluten-Free! Good luck- hope you get it figured out soon!

Thank you so much, Joy, for your helpful reply. I think my next step will be to eliminate lactose for awhile. I also know that my hairspray contains wheat protein, so time to let that go, too! Take good care ~