This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prometheus Results Help!

VDR928

VDR928 Newbie

I got the hard copy of my Prometheus test results today and I have been reading, reading. It suddenly occurred to me that people on this board have been at this a LOT longer than me and could probably help me tremendously. I have been eating gluten free for a while now but had a bout of extreme GI distress recently )? The GI Dr ran this test since I was no longer eating gluten for the more simple tests. My results are 10x the Normal risk for celiac. DQ2.5(HLADQA1*05:DQB1*0201) Can someone explain the Genes, alleles, etc. where I can understand them better? I have a college degree, and am an RN but this stuff is greek to me! Any light you can shed on my understanding will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. (PS I have only just realized that corn, etc., must be excluded in my diet, also)!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nora-n Rookie

Yes this is what is called HLA DQ2. The other celiac gene is HLA DQ8.

Newer testing methods have shown more detailed gene results, and the alpha chain is the ,5 for example in DQ2,5. It means the beta chain is 0201 and the alpha chain is 0501.

DQ2 and 8 are just nicknames, and most people find it easier to remember these instead of beta 0201 alpha 0501 for example.

There is a good chart here Open Original Shared Link and on the HLA DR page

about the corn, are you allergic, for celiacs in general do tolerate corn.

Those starting a gluten free diet are usually advised to not to eat any dairy for the first six weeks because the enzymes needed to break down the lactose are made on the villi tips, and those are damaged in celiac.

VDR928 Newbie

That explains why I "all of a sudden" started having trouble with the two dairy things I still eat... Fage Yogurt and heavy cream in my coffee. I did read where dairy is the LAST thing to try adding back after an episode... now I guess that makes sense. I don't miss corn, but I have also given up ALL grains. I watched a video on "Spunky Coconut's" FB page (her children are gluten intolerant and she writes recipes, etc.) that explains how we can also be intolerant of many other grains that are normally deemed "okay" on gluten free diets. (Other proteins that cause problems on grains). I am going to stick with avoiding them all, as I cook, and do not miss them. :) Thanks so much for the dairy tip. I have not been "diagnosed" with Celiac... I guess I will not pursue testing since I do not plan to eat any. I just wanted to understand more how "likely" I was to actually have it. Perhaps a "challenge" at some point but for now I like staying out of the bathroom and no abd cramps!

nora-n Rookie

Hi, there actually is a diet without grains the Specific carbohydrate diet. There are also some variations to that one as well, like gaps and low oxalate diet.

VDR928 Newbie

Hi, there actually is a diet without grains the Specific carbohydrate diet. There are also some variations to that one as well, like gaps and low oxalate diet.

Yes, I have been on the SCD for some time. but we are thinking I ate grain somewhere when we went out to eat, even though I try to be very careful. :( I do not eat any grain, or sugar (or any artificial sweetener since Diabetes is strong in my family). I can't eat beans, or much sweet fruit, but I have been at this so long (since 2003) I have found stuff I love and cook at home most of the time. The test pretty much tells me what I suspected all along! I debate whether the biopsy will ever be necessary...? I have not resumed the Fage but the heavy cream does not seem to bother me so far. It is my "exception" to Paleo eating!

Archived