mommyto2kids

When You Have A Reaction, How Do You Cope At Work Or When Driving?

Rate this topic

I get very frustrated and down when I have a reaction and especially when I don't know what it is. I want to return to work, but am scared out of my mind. Do I warn the principal and other teachers and say occationally I have a reaction and have to go to the restroom due to celiac. Or what should I tell them. I also want to sub but am afraid of if I have to go during class. Should I quietly tell the school secretary, the nice one that if I call and need her to come watch the class for a second, she will know what's up ahead of time. I can't let this condition keep me from living life. What are your thoughts here and how do you do it?

Does the school have a Dept. Head for teachers or some type of go between person? Maybe a Human Relations Dept. You have to start your conversation somewhere. I wouldn't advise trying to hide the issue or anything. It's just a fact that needs to be dealt with. You can do it. No problem. :)

I think that if you're reacting often enough to be worried then it's worth a conversation. I would suggest your direct supervisor, so the two of you can devise a plan for coverage when necessary. Just my two cents :)

I want to return to work, but am scared out of my mind. I can't let this condition keep me from living life.

I can SO relate. I've missed lots of days at work, and still haven't been able to work more than half days. I'm always afraid I'll have to go home sick. Social things are out of the question. I never know how I'll feel each day. It is keeping me from living life, so I understand. Luckily my work knows what I am going through and has been understanding, although I do have approved FMLA paperwork from my Dr, that allows me days off due to my condition, so it protects my job whether they like it or not. Are you familiar with that? When you do start working, you are legally entitled to days off due to illness protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act. It's a federal program. Don't know if that helps, but here's a link if you'd like to check it out for future reference: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/ I still have fear and stress about missing work anyway though. It's hard to feel like you can't do the things you need to do. Sorry you're having such a hard time. You're in good company.

I posted this same question on my teaching forum and some people just didn't get it. They said there was no way to leave and just to hold it. They don't have celiac do they? :huh: I'm glad I can come here and at least I'm not alone.