Alyssa B

Gluten Blood Test

Rate this topic

Hello all :)

My husband was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. As a family we had cut way back on gluten, but the kids and I still ate it occasionally over an 8 week period. We decided to do the blood test for my 5 year old son since he was showing signs of it. We didn't go completely gluten free before hand, but had cut WAY WAY back on the gluten. The test results came back in the normal range, but in the borderline high range. I questioned the dr. about cutting back on gluten before hand and he wants the test redone. We are to get him to eat as much gluten as he can in the next few days and have the blood work redone. Since he never went completely gluten free to begin with, how long should we have to keep giving him gluten? I've read 6-8 weeks but most of the sites I've found are 6-8 weeks after going gluten free. Our dr. here is telling us 3 or 4 days but my trust in our dr.'s here is pretty low and I want to double check. Thanks for any insite anyone can give me.

Hello all :)

My husband was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. As a family we had cut way back on gluten, but the kids and I still ate it occasionally over an 8 week period. We decided to do the blood test for my 5 year old son since he was showing signs of it. We didn't go completely gluten free before hand, but had cut WAY WAY back on the gluten. The test results came back in the normal range, but in the borderline high range. I questioned the dr. about cutting back on gluten before hand and he wants the test redone. We are to get him to eat as much gluten as he can in the next few days and have the blood work redone. Since he never went completely gluten free to begin with, how long should we have to keep giving him gluten? I've read 6-8 weeks but most of the sites I've found are 6-8 weeks after going gluten free. Our dr. here is telling us 3 or 4 days but my trust in our dr.'s here is pretty low and I want to double check. Thanks for any insite anyone can give me.

I'd wait longer than 3 or 4 days. If it were my child, I'd wait out the two months and gluten him up good. Or, I might just make the whole family gluten free since Dad has a diagnosis. Makes the chances of a child having it much greater.