gatita

I Guess This Is It?

Rate this topic

Soooo.... my blood test came back negative but my doc (who is a nice version of Dr. House and never gives up) suspected gluten intolerance and put me on an elimination diet. After two weeks, my D was almost gone and joints were feeling better. Then I accidentally drank something made from wheat berries and had a big, bad reaction.

My doc thinks that's enough for him to diagnose "gluten intolerance" and says as long as I don't mind staying gluten-free, I should just continue with the diet and leave it at that.

I'm okay with being gluten-free forever as long as I keep feeling better.

He says if I really need to know more I could try eating another gluten food and see if I react again, but he doesn't recommend it and says it's not necessary.

My question is: Is there any important reason I should try to definitively confirm/rule out celiac?

Or should I just stay on the diet and leave it at that?

ps. Been lurking here for a couple weeks

Soooo.... my blood test came back negative but my doc (who is a nice version of Dr. House and never gives up) suspected gluten intolerance and put me on an elimination diet. After two weeks, my D was almost gone and joints were feeling better. Then I accidentally drank something made from wheat berries and had a big, bad reaction.

My doc thinks that's enough for him to diagnose "gluten intolerance" and says as long as I don't mind staying gluten-free, I should just continue with the diet and leave it at that.

I'm okay with being gluten-free forever as long as I keep feeling better.

He says if I really need to know more I could try eating another gluten food and see if I react again, but he doesn't recommend it and says it's not necessary.

My question is: Is there any important reason I should try to definitively confirm/rule out celiac?

Or should I just stay on the diet and leave it at that?

ps. Been lurking here for a couple weeks — great forum! Y'all are so helpful :)

At this point, if you can commit to staying gluten free, there wouldn't necessarily be a point to undergo gluten challenges and testing.

On the other hand, if you still have symptoms, you would want to pursue that just to make sure you don't have something else. Also, if there are special needs such as dining plans in college (or assisted living, for that matter, LOL) you do need a doctor to give a firm diagnosis so they can send a letter to the institution. So, it really depends on your personal circumstances.

Sounds like you are better without gluten, and for many that is enough of an answer!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Edited by beachbirdie

If both your doctor and you become convinced that gluten was indeed the problem, I don't see a reason for anything else.

richard

Welcome!

Happy to hear you have a great doctor - not enough doctors understand the havoc gluten can play in the body.

Since you are improving and ready to stay gluten-free, I'd say there is no need for further testing. It can be very tough to go back on gluten for testing as it is recommended that you eat substantial amounts for at least three months. Even then the testing can be negative, which would be extremely frustrating not to mention potentially harmful.

Thanks for the welcome and all your insight.

I can probably get a letter from my doc saying "severe gluten intolerance"... for the nursing home or jail or whatever LOL...

Yes, my doc is a good one!