This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Break Out

lil'chefy

lil'chefy Apprentice

If you have been glutened, how long until DH blisters show up?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

It's different for everyone. I can't even say truthfully how long it takes for me in particular. I got glutened in Jan. just 1 month after I had the gluten-free diet down. I don't remember how long it took before the blisters came & I'm not sure they would be the same now b/c I'm much farther down the road than I was then. I'm doing my darndest NOT to get glutened so I hope I don't find out how many days it takes. I'm going to suppose it will be different every time until way on down the line when we've gotten most or all the IgA out of our skin.

Maybe others have a better idea of how long it takes theirs to show up.

Did you get glutened or are you just wondering if you got glutened?

You do realize that we can have a breakout even w/o getting glutened don't you? This can happen anytime until the IgA is out of our skin.

lil'chefy Apprentice

It's different for everyone. I can't even say truthfully how long it takes for me in particular. I got glutened in Jan. just 1 month after I had the gluten-free diet down. I don't remember how long it took before the blisters came & I'm not sure they would be the same now b/c I'm much farther down the road than I was then. I'm doing my darndest NOT to get glutened so I hope I don't find out how many days it takes. I'm going to suppose it will be different every time until way on down the line when we've gotten most or all the IgA out of our skin.

Maybe others have a better idea of how long it takes theirs to show up.

Did you get glutened or are you just wondering if you got glutened?

You do realize that we can have a breakout even w/o getting glutened don't you? This can happen anytime until the IgA is out of our skin.

I didn't realize that.I think I have unwillingly been glutening myself by using my family's toaster to toast my gluten free bread. I don't think that I took cross contamination as seriously as I should have. Anyhow, I have been getting bumps again lately on the back of my neck, insides of my elbows, scalp. I haven't had a full fledged break out like that in years. I have been off of dapsone for like a year now, but had taken it for 21-22 years 100mg.

squirmingitch Veteran

Ohhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!ohmy.gif I'm so sorry! You have to get your very own dedicated toaster. And cutting board & colander. You must be very, very careful b/c dh is soooo very sensitive to the tiniest amt. of gluten.

Oh, I feel for you, I really do. I get them in my scalp too & it's just miserable, miserable!ph34r.gif

Also, in case you weren't aware ---- NSAIDS & Aspirin --- all very high salicylates & be very cautious about taking them. Aleve gets me going like mad (& does to most of us). I had to take it 2 x day for 4 or 5 days recently b/c of a muscle in my back that was excruciating & I knew what I was risking but there was NO choice. I broke out just as if I had eaten a loaf of wheat bread. If you have ot take anything Tylenol seems to affect us least but just be judicious. I still have the (now healing --- FINALLY) sores in my scalp & that was about 6 weeks ago.

squirmingitch Veteran

lil'chefy, here are some links for you to read. The first deals with cross contamination issues. We can all use a refresher course in this from time to time.

Open Original Shared Link

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

cindylou7 Apprentice

Also, in case you weren't aware ---- NSAIDS & Aspirin --- all very high salicylates & be very cautious about taking them.

I take Mobic every day for arthritis in my back and neck. I hadn't noticed that it causes a problem, although this is all still new to me. Are most people sensitive to salicylates with DH? Not sure how I'd do with out the Mobic...

In reply to chefy, I noticed the last time I got glutened it took me less than a week to start itching and developing bumps, but I've just started taking notice and being more diligent about my diet.

squirmingitch Veteran

I had never heard of Mobic. I just looked it up. I don't know Cindylou. If it's working for you then great! I just know that many on here have complained of NSAIDS. And from my own experience the Aleve, Advil, & Tylenol all get my dh going. The Tylenol is not so bad but it doesn't relieve pain as well either. But I can take 1 now & again & get away with it. And if I'm in a "down phase" with the dh, I can take 1 Aleve & pretty much get away with it. But any more than that & I am pushing the envelope.

I have since gone to the doc & he prescribed Tramadol for pain & Flexeril for muscle relaxer b/c that back muscle has been an ongoing problem. The Flexeril, so far, seems to be fine & I've only taken 1/2 of 1 Tramadol thus far & was okay. I did speak with the pharmacist about the situation & he said the only pain reliever w/o sals is the Tramadol. I really took the 1/2 of 1 pill as a test to see how strong the stuff was & my reaction to it --- I don't like to get loopy or nauseous.

Many of us with dh are sensitive to sals at least for a time. I know eatmeat is now able to do sals. I expect I will be able to also when I get farther down the road. And then some report they are sensitive to certain sals --- example: maybe they find they can eat grapes but not oranges. And sals are cumulative so that's why I can get away with a Tylenol or two or 1 Aleve but when I had to keep taking those Aleve they really got to me. Again, we are all different & react different. Most celiacs have problems with dairy at least in the beginning until their guts heal some; but I didn't have any problem with dairy from day one (other than iodine content). Some celiacs can eat certified gluten-free oats but some are never able to handle oats. I haven't tried oats yet myself. They gave me bad bloat before I went gluten-free & even though I LOVE oatmeal, I am putting off trying oats until I'm gluten-free at least a year.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lil'chefy Apprentice

I had never heard of Mobic. I just looked it up. I don't know Cindylou. If it's working for you then great! I just know that many on here have complained of NSAIDS. And from my own experience the Aleve, Advil, & Tylenol all get my dh going. The Tylenol is not so bad but it doesn't relieve pain as well either. But I can take 1 now & again & get away with it. And if I'm in a "down phase" with the dh, I can take 1 Aleve & pretty much get away with it. But any more than that & I am pushing the envelope.

I have since gone to the doc & he prescribed Tramadol for pain & Flexeril for muscle relaxer b/c that back muscle has been an ongoing problem. The Flexeril, so far, seems to be fine & I've only taken 1/2 of 1 Tramadol thus far & was okay. I did speak with the pharmacist about the situation & he said the only pain reliever w/o sals is the Tramadol. I really took the 1/2 of 1 pill as a test to see how strong the stuff was & my reaction to it --- I don't like to get loopy or nauseous.

Many of us with dh are sensitive to sals at least for a time. I know eatmeat is now able to do sals. I expect I will be able to also when I get farther down the road. And then some report they are sensitive to certain sals --- example: maybe they find they can eat grapes but not oranges. And sals are cumulative so that's why I can get away with a Tylenol or two or 1 Aleve but when I had to keep taking those Aleve they really got to me. Again, we are all different & react different. Most celiacs have problems with dairy at least in the beginning until their guts heal some; but I didn't have any problem with dairy from day one (other than iodine content). Some celiacs can eat certified gluten-free oats but some are never able to handle oats. I haven't tried oats yet myself. They gave me bad bloat before I went gluten-free & even though I LOVE oatmeal, I am putting off trying oats until I'm gluten-free at least a year.

How would you know if you were having a reaction to sals? symptoms?

squirmingitch Veteran

DH goes NUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get more & more & more & more blisters & lesions & ITCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Check out this site for symptoms of sals sensitivity.

My DH goes nuts too if I have too much.

No active DH now so I'm testing how much I can have sals in food, but not meds.

The NSAIDS made my DH terrible.

I don't think this is true for everyone with DH, but it is for some.

Ibuprofen is very close to aspirin chemically speaking and people who are sensitive to sals are often sensitive to all NSAIDS. Since Squirming mentioned the Tylenol side, I thought I would mention the Ibuprofen side. I used to take it to deal with the pain of DH sores....but it was making them worse by far.

Mobic would be sals, but if you are not sensitive you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Research shows that 1 in 100 are sensitive to sals in the general population, not just those with DH or Celiac, so it stands to reason some of us would/could have both Celiac and Salicylate sensitivity.

I posted the most valuable resource for sal sensitivity so you can view the symptoms and see if any of this fits for you.

To the question of how long it takes post-glutening for blisters to show up, for me it is within 3 to 7 days of getting gluten. The reactions are WAY less severe than they used to be and they heal much more quickly too. I'm very relieved about that. I hope some of this helps you.

lil'chefy Apprentice

Check out this site for symptoms of sals sensitivity.

My DH goes nuts too if I have too much.

No active DH now so I'm testing how much I can have sals in food, but not meds.

The NSAIDS made my DH terrible.

I don't think this is true for everyone with DH, but it is for some.

Ibuprofen is very close to aspirin chemically speaking and people who are sensitive to sals are often sensitive to all NSAIDS. Since Squirming mentioned the Tylenol side, I thought I would mention the Ibuprofen side. I used to take it to deal with the pain of DH sores....but it was making them worse by far.

Mobic would be sals, but if you are not sensitive you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Research shows that 1 in 100 are sensitive to sals in the general population, not just those with DH or Celiac, so it stands to reason some of us would/could have both Celiac and Salicylate sensitivity.

I posted the most valuable resource for sal sensitivity so you can view the symptoms and see if any of this fits for you.

To the question of how long it takes post-glutening for blisters to show up, for me it is within 3 to 7 days of getting gluten. The reactions are WAY less severe than they used to be and they heal much more quickly too. I'm very relieved about that. I hope some of this helps you.

Helps quite a lot. I have never stopped with sals and don't hink I will, as I don't think that I am having a reaction. My Mom is celiac, and on 2 baby aspirins a day for stroke risk. Does she need to consider something else or could some be fine?

squirmingitch Veteran

If your mom is doing fine ont he 2 baby aspirins then don't even think another thought about it. She's fine if she's fine.smile.gif

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Helps quite a lot. I have never stopped with sals and don't hink I will, as I don't think that I am having a reaction. My Mom is celiac, and on 2 baby aspirins a day for stroke risk. Does she need to consider something else or could some be fine?

Squirming is quite right. If your mom hasn't had a reaction from sals by now, she probably won't. The salicylate sensitivity does not apply to everyone. I just mention it in case it happens to be part of the equation for some people and they don't know about it. If neither of you have the salicylate reactions then you don't have to worry about it. :)

Archived