This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

That's It I'm Going Vegetarian

allergyprone

allergyprone Contributor

Is it safe to go vegitarian if you are gluten free, lactose intolerant, allergic/sensitive/whatever its called when you get sick from eating peanuts, eggs, bananas, anything from the cabage family, anything from the broccoli family, and soy?

Reason for considering vegitarianism: any and all news articles about pink slime, large chunk of hair found in a piece of ground beef, and getting a stomach ache after eating almost any type of meat...also my friend said that I would die if I was a vegitarian, I took that as a challange...

biggest question is would i be able to get enough protein without using supplament? I would ask my dr but my gi moved and the new one doesn't believe i have celiacs (looking for a replacement) and i have aged out of my pediatrition so i'm looking for a new dr too, and the only time i have meet a dietition was when i was first diagnosed when i was 16 aka 3 yrs ago

thanks for your help

AP

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I am not a vegetarian, but from conversations with friends who are, soy is a staple protein in their diets. If you also eliminate eggs and peanuts, there are not many protein sources left. You say you are lactose intolerant. If you don't have an issue with casein, hard cheeses such as old Cheddar or Swiss could work. Beans and lentils are other good options.

GottaSki Mentor

Are you certain you are getting a stomach ache from eating meat? The reason I ask is that I used to believe my stomach bothered me when I ate steak - turns out it was nearly everything I was eating with the meal. Same with pizza - my stomach always bothered me and I thought it was the tomato sauce - turns out it was the crust.

I'm not doubting you may have a problem with meat - only that if you already have many foods that are bothering you that perhaps you should take a look at everything you are eating.

Turns out I can't tolerate most of the more troublesome lectin groups: Grains, Dairy, Legumes, Nuts and Nightshades but can tolerate Meat, Vegies and selected Fruits.

If you were to remove all meat protein and replace with legume and nut protein, you may have some trouble. I think you already said you had trouble with soy and peanuts - two legumes.

So while a person may be able to be gluten/meat free - it is wise to make sure what the best fuel for your body is.

Good Luck to you :)

• 2 weeks later...
andrea lee Newbie

I would say it is entirely possible to be vegetarian and have celiac and other food sensitivities. I am a vegan(no animal products) celiac, who does not eat soy, peanuts, and now even refined sugars. my body has helped me figure out what my body doesn't like to eat, and I've listened. There are many different ways to get a source of protein into your daily intake, through eating different combinations of grains, legumes, nuts & seeds, vegetables & fruit several times throughout the day. I would look up "complete proteins for vegetarians". there are so many combinations that even with avoiding some foods you should get plenty of protein.

xo-a

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Grammar B
    Newest Member
    Grammar B
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Oh, okay. The lower case "b" in boots in your first post didn't lead me in the direction of a proper name. I thought maybe it was a specialty apothecary for people with pedal diseases or something.
    • Scott Adams
      In the Europe the new protocol for making a celiac disease diagnosis in children is if their tTg-IgA (tissue transglutaminase IgA) levels are 10 times or above the positive level for celiac disease. According to the latest research, if the blood test results are at certain high levels that range between 5-10 times the reference range for a positive celiac disease diagnosis, it may not be necessary to confirm the results using an endoscopy/biopsy: Blood Test Alone Can Diagnose Celiac Disease in Most Children and Adults TGA-IgA at or Above Five Times Normal Limit in Kids Indicates Celiac Disease in Nearly All Cases No More Biopsies to Diagnose Celiac Disease in Children! There are other things that may cause elevated tTg-IgA levels, but in general a reaction to gluten is the culprit:    
    • cristiana
      Hi @trents Just seen this - Boot's is a chain of pharmacies in the UK, originally founded in the 19th Century by a chap with the surname, Boot.  It's a household name here in the UK and if you say you are going to Boot's everyone knows you are off to the pharmacist! Cristiana
    • Denise I
      I am looking to find a Celiac Dietician who is affiliated with the Celiac Disease Foundation who I can set up an appointment with.  Can you possibly give some guidance on this?  Thank you!
    • Posterboy
      Nacina, Knitty Kitty has given you good advice. But I would say/add find a Fat Soluble B-1 like Benfotiamine for best results.  The kind found in most Multivitamins have a very low absorption rate. This article shows how taking a Fat Soluble B-1 can effectively help absorption by 6x to7x times. https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/thiamine-deficiency-and-diabetic-polyneuropathy quoting from the article.... "The group ingesting benfotiamine had maximum plasma thiamine levels that were 6.7 times higher than the group ingesting thiamine mononitrate.32" Also, frequency is much more important than amount when it comes to B-Vitamin. These are best taken with meals because they provide the fat for better absorption. You will know your B-Vitamin is working properly when your urine becomes bright yellow all the time. This may take two or three months to achieve this.......maybe even longer depending on how low he/you are. The Yellow color is from excess Riboflavin bypassing the Kidneys....... Don't stop them until when 2x a day with meals they start producing a bright yellow urine with in 2 or 3 hours after the ingesting the B-Complex...... You will be able to see the color of your urine change as the hours go by and bounce back up after you take them in the evening. When this happens quickly......you are now bypassing all the Riboflavin that is in the supplement. The body won't absorb more than it needs! This can be taken as a "proxy" for your other B-Vitamin levels (if taken a B-Complex) ...... at least at a quick and dirty level......this will only be so for the B-1 Thiamine levels if you are taking the Fat Soluble forms with the Magnesium as Knitty Kitty mentioned. Magnesium is a Co-Factor is a Co-factor for both Thiamine and Vitamin D and your sons levels won't improve unless he also takes Magnesium with his Thiamine and B-Complex. You will notice his energy levels really pick up.  His sleeping will improve and his muscle cramps will get better from the Magnesium! Here is nice blog post that can help you Thiamine and it's many benefits. I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice God speed on your son's continued journey I used to be him. There is hope! 2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included. Posterboy by the grace of God,