mamato4

Can You Help Me Interpret Fecal Fat Test Results?

Rate this topic

Does anyone have experience with this? My pediatrician isn't quite sure how to interpret these results from my sons' fecal fats tests and our GI appointment isn't for another month.

CHILD 1-

neutral:

small droplets 5-20 (normal range < 20)

medium droplets 5-20 (normal range <20)

large 5-20 (normal range 0)

split:

small droplets too numerous to count (normal range <50)

medium droplets too numerous to count (normal range <25)

large droplets 5-20 (normal range 0)

CHILD 2-

neutral:

small droplets too numerous to count (normal range <20)

medium droplets too numerous to count (normal range <20)

large droplets 5-50 (normal range 0)

split:

small droplets too numerous to count (normal range <50)

medium droplets too numerous to count (normal range <25)

large droplets 5-20 (normal range 0)

From what I've dug up online, it looks like they both have issues with digestion and malabsorption. Does anyone know anything else you can add? I'd really like to know more so I can go to GI armed with an understanding so I can ask intelligent questions and have a good feel on what to do now.

Thanks for any help!

Do you have family history of various illnesses? Do you or your spouse have digestive issues?

I'm not sure how old your children are, but if possible, keep them on a full gluten diet until you see your GI.

I guess some background would have been good! I have Celiac. They are 2 and 4. The 2yo had equivocal blood work, the 4yo had normal blood work. When the ped suggested a fecal fat on the 2yo before jumping into endoscopy I asked to have it done on the 4yo too. The results above are child 1: my 4yo, child 2: my 2yo.

Are your children showing symptoms?

The 4yo has puffy eyes with gluten, trouble sleeping and irritability. The 2yo is significantly smaller than his siblings and has insatiable hunger. He literally doesn't stop eating when he's awake. They both have enormous poops, gas and "random" stomach, joint and muscle pain.

And just in case this means anything: my 8yo had normal blood work, but has too many symptoms to list. My 8 month old got a blistering rash at first exposure to gluten. Also, I was just diagnosed in July. I'm 32, but first symptoms showed up when I was 8. Both of my parents and 1 sibling have hypothyroidism.