AngieJoy

Gluten & Skin Products/drugs

Rate this topic

Hi folks - I have to be super careful with my diet, but do we have to also be careful about what goes on the skin?

Most important on my list - I'm wondering about the Flector patch - it's an anti-inflammatory drug. I'm unable to handle oral anti-inflammatory drugs because of allergy and stomach sensitivity, but I used to use the Flector patches before starting on the gluten free diet. I have a sprained knee and would like to use it again. Do I have to call the company and check for gluten in a patch that's absorbed by the skin?

I'm also wondering about my moisturizer.

And something less important - lipstick. I have lots of clinique lipsticks but I'm concerned about using them as I'm likely to ingest some. Does anyone know of some fragrance free lipsticks that are gluten free?

Thanks!!!!

I'm no doctor but I would think the patch would be safe as long as you scrub your hands after touching it. Lotions are a different story though. If you use it, even on body parts that are not your hands, you may get it on your hands just by touching or scratching these body parts, then forget to wash your hands before popping something in your mouth.

Lipstick? Someone here said NYC (New York Color) was gluten-free. It's dirt cheap at Family Dollar and other stores, and while it's not the greatest lipstick in the world, it works and is safe.

Hi,I have the same question :) . Only I know for sure gluten in cosmetics cause me problems (rashes,pustules,itchy scaly patches around the hair line).

I tried Burts'n'Bees. I tested their lip shimmer,everything is OK. Some moisturizers should be OK,too. It's said gluten-free in their site.

Actually,when I have skin rashes,the oil based creams work better for me. I try to avoid water based,they make the problem worse. The gluten rashes can be absolutely neverending if treated as acne (it's not the same thou it looks alike).

Thanks everyone - I'll check out those products. With the medication patch - you get the medication in your system, so I just don't know if celiac and gluten intolerance take place throughout your body like an allergy, or if it only takes place in your digestive tract. And if it does go through your skin into your body, does some of it make it's way to your digestive tract through the blood?

Most things can't pass thru your skin. The molecules are too big. If everything could pass thru, you couldn't touch anything. Lotions can go thru the dead top layer of skin but they don't go into your blood stream.

I've heard different things, but I think it matters how sensitive you are, and if it is something you use on your hands or not (can easily transfer to your mouth this way).

I'm actually starting up a line of natural cosmetics, and since discovering my gluten issues, I'm making sure everything is gluten-free.

Cosmetics have to list ALL ingredients used, and if you see 'hydrolyzed wheat (or oat) protein', it isn't gluten-free. Unless it is a product containing some other kind of oats, in which case look for any ingredient with 'avena' in it, it should otherwise be gluten free. To my knowledge, those are the only cosmetic ingredients commonly used that contain gluten.

The medication does get into your bloodstream from that Flector patch, so is that cause for concern?

The medication does get into your bloodstream from that Flector patch, so is that cause for concern?

Some medicine is made very small so that it can absorb thru the skin. Gluten molecules are large. call them if it makes you feel more secure.