Ranne10

Success!

Rate this topic

This past weekend I decided to travel home to Indiana to attend my family reunion. I almost didn't go because I'm still struggling with not feeling well. Also, my family can really cook. I knew I would face every good food imaginable. But the desire to see family won so I packed my car with a cooler and a suitcase full of food and headed out on an 8 hour drive. :)

When I arrived at the reunion it smelled like heaven. At first I was disheartened, but because I had pre-cooked food and some of my family members had made dishes for me I had plenty to eat. Now grant it, it wasn't all of the foods I'm used to eating but I ate well, enjoyed my family, and best of all - I didn't get sick!! This was a big challenge for me but I proved a lot to myself. Now I know I can take a vacation without going hungry or getting sick. :)

I am encouraged!

• Upvote 1

This past weekend I decided to travel home to Indiana to attend my family reunion. I almost didn't go because I'm still struggling with not feeling well. Also, my family can really cook. I knew I would face every good food imaginable. But the desire to see family won so I packed my car with a cooler and a suitcase full of food and headed out on an 8 hour drive. :)

When I arrived at the reunion it smelled like heaven. At first I was disheartened, but because I had pre-cooked food and some of my family members had made dishes for me I had plenty to eat. Now grant it, it wasn't all of the foods I'm used to eating but I ate well, enjoyed my family, and best of all - I didn't get sick!! This was a big challenge for me but I proved a lot to myself. Now I know I can take a vacation without going hungry or getting sick. :)

I am encouraged!

Good for you! :) Yay!

That's wonderful!

I guess I'm "lucky" because so many people in my family are gluten free that when I go home, my grandmother makes a gluten-free version of many of her great dishes and they're just as delicious. If my sister and I are both home, that's 3 celiacs in one house. There seems to be another member of my family being diagnosed or deciding to eat gluten-free every year.

But, as always, it's smart to bring something for yourself to any gathering, just in case.

Peg