deals88

Only Realised What Gluten Was 30Days Ago, New Here

Rate this topic

Heyy il try and keep this short been a long year. Been having stomach problems from last November and tested postive for H.Pylori, now 10 months on still having problems and on proton pump inhibitors. I had severve constipation for 6months and this only stopped 30 days ago when i started a new diet which contained no gluten (unintentionally), after about a week i was having normal bowel movements and was to say the least super happy. So ive narrowed it down to gluten and diary both are still out of my diet.

Its just hard to understand how i went from eating all foods till now i feel i get reactions from even using a pan or bowl after my flat mate has gluten food. I am going to the doctor this week to explain this i would appreciate any advice on how i should go about getting the most effective use from my doctor. Thx

Well, its kinda late now to get an accurate blood test. You'd have to go back on it for a while in order for it to come out positive.

Well, its kinda late now to get an accurate blood test. You'd have to go back on it for a while in order for it to come out positive.

Mnn thats not good, is it worth going back on to find out? Any other tests i could ask for. I had an endoscopy done several weeks ago and a bioscopy was taken any chance they could look back at that. It wasnt looking for gluten intolerance at the time. Thx

If they were not specifically looking for celiac on the biopsy, they would not find it; it requires special staining of the sample.

If they were not specifically looking for celiac on the biopsy, they would not find it; it requires special staining of the sample.

Mnn ok thx, any advice on what i should ask the doctor? Ive literally been like 30 times this year and when i get there i feel i never explain myself and my conditions very well

At this point I am afraid the doctor will not be able to be very helpful to you. All the testing that he can do requires that you be eating a full gluten diet to be in any way valid, both celiac blood tests and biopsy. The tests are looking for anti-gliadin antibodies in the blood and damage in the small intestine. Both of these can disappear very quickly when gluten is withdrawn.

Once the body adjusts to no gluten, it tends to react more strongly when even small amounts of gluten are reintroduced, as in cross-contamination from your flatmate's cooking or in foods you might eat in restaurants where care is not taken to prevent it. You need to keep your own toaster, colander/strainer, jars of spreads, mayo, etc., to avoid this cross-contamination. You should not use any scratched cookware, any porous things that have been used for gluten, like wood and plastic. You need separate cutting board, your own shelf in the pantry and fridge, and preferably dedicated counterspace, or else always used paper towels or plates.

As to what to tell the doctor:

1. Symptoms you were experiencing (write a list).

2. How you came to unintentionally eat gluten free (and dairy free)

3. How your symptoms improved

4. What happens to you when eat something that is cross-contaminated.

5. Previous testing that did not include celiac testing.

He will likely tell you to resume eating gluten so he can test you, and depending on the doctor and his knowledge of celiac the length of time you should do this may vary. We generally feel on this board that 6-8 weeks is the minimum for a really accurate test - for some people it takes even longer. :( Doctors often suggest only a couple of weeks.

Best wishes for your appointment. :) And when you have gone as far as you intend to with the testing process, do stay the course on a gluten and dairy free diet (you should be able to add dairy in later) and take the precautions to prevent cross-contamination because you could very well have non-celiac gluten intolerance which will not show up on any testing. There is lots of information on the board on how to degluten your house. Start with Newbie 101.

• Upvote 1

At this point I am afraid the doctor will not be able to be very helpful to you. All the testing that he can do requires that you be eating a full gluten diet to be in any way valid, both celiac blood tests and biopsy. The tests are looking for anti-gliadin antibodies in the blood and damage in the small intestine. Both of these can disappear very quickly when gluten is withdrawn.

Once the body adjusts to no gluten, it tends to react more strongly when even small amounts of gluten are reintroduced, as in cross-contamination from your flatmate's cooking or in foods you might eat in restaurants where care is not taken to prevent it. You need to keep your own toaster, colander/strainer, jars of spreads, mayo, etc., to avoid this cross-contamination. You should not use any scratched cookware, any porous things that have been used for gluten, like wood and plastic. You need separate cutting board, your own shelf in the pantry and fridge, and preferably dedicated counterspace, or else always used paper towels or plates.

As to what to tell the doctor:

1. Symptoms you were experiencing (write a list).

2. How you came to unintentionally eat gluten free (and dairy free)

3. How your symptoms improved

4. What happens to you when eat something that is cross-contaminated.

5. Previous testing that did not include celiac testing.

He will likely tell you to resume eating gluten so he can test you, and depending on the doctor and his knowledge of celiac the length of time you should do this may vary. We generally feel on this board that 6-8 weeks is the minimum for a really accurate test - for some people it takes even longer. :( Doctors often suggest only a couple of weeks.

Best wishes for your appointment. :) And when you have gone as far as you intend to with the testing process, do stay the course on a gluten and dairy free diet (you should be able to add dairy in later) and take the precautions to prevent cross-contamination because you could very well have non-celiac gluten intolerance which will not show up on any testing. There is lots of information on the board on how to degluten your house. Start with Newbie 101.

Wow thats alot of info lol, thank you it really is appreciated. Gonna copy this into my notepad and make sure i have all the info i need for the doctor. Guess il just have to accept it without the test could not eat gluten again for 8 weeks. Il get reading around the baords so i dont ask the same questions answers a 100 times :) Thx again