Dixie81411

Anybody Speak Lab-Ese?

Rate this topic

My CBC and Metabolic Panel are normal with the exception of BUN/Creatinine ratio of 8 (ref. range 9-23), BUN 6 (ref. 6-24). The Celiac Panel is:

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 188 (reference range 91-414)

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IGG 3 (ref 0-19)

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IGA 3 (ref 0-19)

Ttg IGA <2 (ref 0-3)

Ttg IGG <2 (ref 0-5)

Endomysial Antibody IGA Negative (ref Neg)

You may recall this gastro doc ordered a colonoscopy, refused endoscopy and scoffed at the notion of celiac disease since I don't look ill and am overweight. I have had a slew of symptoms including years of urgent, explosive diarrhea, bloating, fatique, anemia, gall bladder removed. Recent brain fog, dizziness, memory issues. PCP has ordered Thyroid panel, other labs (including Vit/Min levels) and brain MRI. I trust you all more than the arrogant and incompetent gastro doc to help interpret these results. Thank you for your help! Dixie

My CBC and Metabolic Panel are normal with the exception of BUN/Creatinine ratio of 8 (ref. range 9-23), BUN 6 (ref. 6-24). The Celiac Panel is:

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 188 (reference range 91-414)

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IGG 3 (ref 0-19)

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IGA 3 (ref 0-19)

Ttg IGA <2 (ref 0-3)

Ttg IGG <2 (ref 0-5)

Endomysial Antibody IGA Negative (ref Neg)

You may recall this gastro doc ordered a colonoscopy, refused endoscopy and scoffed at the notion of celiac disease since I don't look ill and am overweight. I have had a slew of symptoms including years of urgent, explosive diarrhea, bloating, fatique, anemia, gall bladder removed. Recent brain fog, dizziness, memory issues. PCP has ordered Thyroid panel, other labs (including Vit/Min levels) and brain MRI. I trust you all more than the arrogant and incompetent gastro doc to help interpret these results. Thank you for your help! Dixie

The first celiac panel test is measuring whether or not your are produce "normal" quantities of IgA antibodies, and your result puts you in the normal range.

The next two tests are Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP), both IgA and IgG versions; both of these tests are in the normal range, as are the IgA and IgG tTG (tissue transglutaminase). The DGP is highly specific for celiac disease and the tTG is a measure of possible damage to the small intestine.

So all your tests are negative for celiac disease. However, the tests are not infallible, and they do not measure for non-celiac gluten intolerance. That is, just because your tests are negative does not mean that a gluten free diet will not help you. If an endoscopy is out of the question, I would do a strict three-month trial of the gluten-free diet (and also possibly include the elimination of lactose -- milk, cream, ice cream) and see how you feel at the end of that period. But you must be thorough in eliminating the gluten - no half measures. There is plenty of information on the board here on how to eat gluten free.

Best wishes for improved health. :)

• Upvote 1

Test to the best of your ability, and then when the dust settles, try the gluten free diet. I had positive brain scan results, had to force the office to give me the results in writing after they stalled around about a follow up appt to explain this, and an (ex) doc who insisted I was still making up my symptoms, which is at least incompetent if not borderline evil. :o:blink::angry:<_<:ph34r: That's good somebody ordered a brain MRI, at least you didn't have to wait a year to change insurance while having bizzaroland neuro symptoms :angry: and sometimes that DOES show something.

If they are doing thyroid tests, make sure they order the test for auto immune thyroid disease, looking for the antibodies, otherwise, your levels of the different hormones can be in normal range even if you're screwed up.

• Upvote 1

Thank you both for your input. I will be completing the rest of my tests and then see where I am. I have a feeling I will be giving gluten free a trial. I appreciate the moderators and all of you who share your time, knowledge and experiences here. I have no doubt you have saved lives where the medical community has failed. Thank you!