RobWfromTheUK

Should I Give Up Gluten Straight After Endoscopy?

Rate this topic

Hi Guys. My first post on here - thanks to all who've posted here in the past because finding this site has been informative and useful and at times has helped keep me sane! So much better than suffering alone.

I am part way through getting diagnosed and I have my endoscopy and colonoscopy in just over two weeks. Then I have four weeks before my final appointment with the gastro enterologist to discuss the results of the biopsy.

My question is - would you advise me to give up gluten straight away, or wait until I hear what the doctor has to say. I have really gone for it with the gluten challenge to make absolutely sure that if it is celiac I get a clear diagnosis, and I feel like crap! Very bloated and totally devoid of energy. I really want to drop it straight after my endoscopy but is there any medical or other reason that I shouldn't?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

Welcome Rob!

As long as ALL your blood work is complete - you should give up gluten as soon as the endoscopy is complete - there is no reason not to.

Good Luck to you :)

Yes you can go gluten-free after the endo is done. You don't have to wait for the doctor's results if all of your celiac related testing is finished. Do be aware that false negatives are not uncommon especially if you were gluten free before testing and your challenge was a short term one. Since the challenge has given you a reaction your body has already told you it needs to be gluten free.