jonny00

Newbie Questions

Rate this topic

Hi,

Ive had a look around but couldnt find anything so i was hoping someone could answer these questions.

Celiac desease & gluten intolerance are the same thing yes?

Can c.d or g.i sunddenly develope or are you born with it?

Can you be intolerant but not have any gut problems or symptoms?

Ive started thinking about g.i because its been mentioned a few times regarding dark eyes(dark circles). Obv im willing to do anything it takes but unsure whether gluten has a part to play because of no symptoms.

Appreciate you takin the time

Thanks John

Some people are gluten intolerant but don't have celiac.... Which basically just means that their intestines aren't being damaged by the gluten. Celiac is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself. My husband has had it for years but only found out a year ago. My son has it and we only found out because we checked him because of my husband . The doctor believes he has had it for about 3 years. He has had no symptoms. There are three types of celiac. " full blown", latent ( no symptoms no intestinal damage), and silent( no symptoms but some intestinal damage--- this is what my son appears to have). It can run in families but most feel something "triggers" it to begin.

Also if you have another autoimmune disease like type 1 diabetes, you are more susceptible to another autoimmune disorder.

Celiac desease & gluten intolerance are the same thing yes?

Can c.d or g.i sunddenly develope or are you born with it?

Can you be intolerant but not have any gut problems or symptoms?

Ive started thinking about g.i because its been mentioned a few times regarding dark eyes(dark circles). Obv im willing to do anything it takes but unsure whether gluten has a part to play because of no symptoms.

Welcome John!

Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease where the immune system reacts to the ingestion of gluten causing damage to the small intestine - over 300 symptoms are associated.

Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance is also triggered by the ingestion of gluten and has many of the same symptoms of celiac. There are no medical tests to determine this condition. It can only be determined by monitoring the response to the elimination of gluten.

Those with Celiac Disease carry genes that predispose the individual to the disease. About 30% of the population carries genes, but a very small portion of these folks develop Celiac Disease which can be triggered at any age.

I know that you can have Celiac Disease without gut symptoms, but do not know for certain whether the same is true for NCGI. Research regarding NCGI is very new - there is quite a bit unknown.

If you have symptoms that you believe are related to gluten, it is very important to be tested for celiac BEFORE removing gluten from your diet. The blood tests measure the antibodies created in reaction to gluten ingestion. Remove gluten and the tests become far less accurate.

Good luck to you :)

Thats great im completely clear on this now, im gonna get tested for celiac and other allergies then try gluten free, hopefully im celiac so i can get rid of the druggie eyes lol.

Cheers a bunch