This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hairspray, Makeup

cavernio

cavernio Enthusiast

Ok, so I never wear hairspray or gel or put product in my hair, but I'm getting married and I need my hair to hold for over 12 hours. Should I worry if there's gluten in the hairspray or other product a stylist might put in? I don't have any topical reaction to gluten.

I'm thinking it shouldn't matter because once it's dried it's pretty stiff and I'm assuming wouldn't really come off. I just don't want to touch my hair or have my fiance touch my hair and then have to worry about washing my hands, both during the day and for the night after. What do you recommend? Should I be concerned about touching my hair with dried glutinous hairspray in it?

I know I will have to be careful when it is being sprayed on, I'll cover my face and probably upper body with a towel and give my hands a good wash afterwards.

Makeup, again, I don't really wear much, and I don't have a skin reaction to gluten, but again I don't want it coming off on my hands at bad times. Obviously lipstick/gloss needs to be gluten free, but I'm also leaning towards gluten free foundation and blush and powder. I'm not concerned about my eyes, but should I be?

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NJceliac Apprentice

Especially since it's your wedding you have to decide if it's worth the risk. How sensitive are you to trace amounts of gluten? Will you get GI or other symptoms? I used a hair products with gluten in them when I first went gluten free since I wasn't ingesting them. When my numbers didn't go down, I switched to all gluten free hair products. I try to wash my hands before I eat anything but that is tough to do. And I figured out I touch my hair way more then I ever thought I did.

cavernio Enthusiast

It's unlikely I will get symptoms from the gluten in any of these products, as I haven't noticed for certain any immediate gluten reactions. However I am dx with celiac and have horrible intestines (damage likely all the way through as both ends of the small intestine showed visible damage) and plenty of malabsorption symptoms (why I got tested in the first place despite noticeable gluten reactions.) I have yet to be re-tested for healing progress.

That said, I did have a horrible, depressed mood a couple days following a bridal shower where CC may have happened.

In any case, I've got both my hairdresser and make-up person to get me gluten-free products anyways, (minus eyes). I figured it's their job, there's no reason why I should feel badly for asking them to do it, and no reason to take chances.

Are you showing healing since switching your beauty products?

flagbabyds Collaborator

I honestly wouldn't take the risk. I am very sensitive, even though no skin reactions or anything you don't really notice how many times you touch your face during the day, and then picking up food and stuff it MAY get into your digestive tract, it's not likely, but it is your wedding day-so I would go with I would rather be safe than sorry (also congratulations on getting married!). What I would suggest is for whoever is doing your hair/makeup just let them bring what they usually use, but you yourself bring backups just in case (really for the lip stuff and things going on your face) just to make sure in case you don't feel comfortable using what they bring you will have a backup.

Have a great day!

cavernio Enthusiast

Haha, I haven't bought new makeup and hair products in 5-10 years! so I don't really have any of my own things to give them. Plus half the reason for wanting a professional is because I need the help with products.

I got trials and have spoken to both individuals about it, and I don't think they're lying about finding products. The make-up lady was very frank that it was very, very hard to find gluten-free products. The one doing my hair found a hairspray alright but she hadn't found a finishing/shine product (whatever that is!) yet. I had good conversations with both of them, and would be very surprised if they were lying.

K10 Newbie

Speaking as someone who JUST got glutened from hairspray 2 months ago -- I would not take the risk, particularly on my wedding day. It was a bad one too -- I was rough for a week at least and bloat, sore tired, the works. There are a few gluten-free hairsprays around, I would ask my stylist to just use one I had brought to the salon.

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

I have gotten very sick from hairspray, mascara, and lipstick that had gluten I'm them, all at different times before I realized I can't have any gluten I'm my beauty products at all. I recently got married myself and found some great mainstream products that didn't have gluten in them. I brought them for all of my bridesmaids to use as well. With hairspray you can react from breathing it in so or doesn't matter how dry it is in your hair. Let me know if you'd like some product recommendations for salon brand products that worked amazingly for me for my own wedding day. Congrats!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived