Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

egarcia5

Where Can I Find A Doctor To Test Me For Celiac?

I have been seeing a gi doctor for 12 yrs for esophageal strictures, severe acid reflux, abdominal pain and bloating. I have has 11 dilitations of the esophogus done and as far as i know never been tested for celiac. Been taking nexium for 12 years but still have severe bouts of acid reflux. Over past few years i have developed othere severe symptoms which has resulted in me becoming disabled. No doctor seems to know what is going on with me so they ate of course blaming stress and anxiety. Symptoms : severe balance problems, difficulty walking at times, slowed mental status at times, difficulty talking at times, numbness and tingling in hands face legs feet throat, severe headaches, muscle spasms, stomache pains, bloating, loose stools, nausea, thyroid issues, hypoglycemia, sleepy after meals but awake in middle of night, difficulty swallowing, swelling in my throat. The list goes on but those are some of my most severe i believe. I have asked for a test from gi doc He says no just try gluten free diet for 16 days. I am gluten free for 41 days and have felt an improvement in some symptoms. My mother in law thinks it may be gluten ataxia. Hollistic dc thinks its gluten as well. Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

GI docs and "regular " docs can order the Celiac blood tests. Even OB/GYns can order it if you have one. However, for the blood test or endoscopy ( GI doc only) you need to be eating gluten.

As kareng said any doc can order a celiac panel . The problem is finding a doc that knows what a celiac panel is :rolleyes:( my granddaughters doc had to go look it up and still was not sure so my daughter called me from his office to ask me what it was .) , what test to run and then what to do with the results once they have them..