3 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

I have to brag on this cake. Got it from a link on this site. This is sooooooo good. It's really a white cake, but it is great. We ate the first pan. Second cut into slices and froze. They only take about 30 mins. to thaw out. So good.

I actually used only 1 cup of sugar because the batter was so thick. This was a "taste better the next day" recipe.

I also printed out some of the comments. I followed one person's advice to mix the flour and milk together first. Then mixed up the other dry ingredients.

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake
By: Amy
"Basic and easy, and very versatile. Layer with white or chocolate frosting, strawberries and whipped cream, etc. Make sure your baking powder is gluten-free."
Rate/Review | Read Reviews (120)
Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cups white rice flour
• 3/4 cup tapioca flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
• 4 eggs
• 1 1/4 cups white sugar
• 2/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1 cup milk
• 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
2. Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.
3. Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 154 | Total Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 38mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

Comments:
I adjusted the flours to 1 3/4 cup Thai rice flour and 1/2 tapioca flour.

I also add a bowl of water to my oven while cooking gluten free as it adds moisture and baked goods tend to be less dry. great success with this one.

I took another reviewers suggestion and added the milk to the rice flour while I combined the other ingredients. It lost 90% of it's graininess. Great suggestion.

This recipe works out great. I decrease the amount of sugar by 1/2 cup and substitute a box of Jello powder. My daughter loves it and she gets to choose which "flavour" of cake we will have every time (lemon, strawberry etc). I only use the Jello powder that calls for boiling water.

We did alter the flour a bit -- 1/2 c brown rice flour, 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, and 1/2 c tapioca flour. Thank you for such a great recipe.

I followed the suggestions of previous reviewers and added 1/3 cup more sugar and 1/2 cup unsweetened coco powder to make chocolate cupcakes. I cooked them for about 19 minutes. Perfect!

Rather than xanthan gum (way too expensive!), can use guar gum (runs $4.99/lb in my area and can usually buy small packages for under $2 at health food stores). Cake turned out fine, except my batter was thin and I had to pour it rather than spread it!
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

thanku!!! will definitely try... and i prefer white cakes to yellow :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

Just curious, It sounds like it would be a yellow cake if you use whole eggs. Maybe I'm crazy since it is almost 4 in the morning and I'm at work. :huh: :P :lol:

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

Just curious, It sounds like it would be a yellow cake if you use whole eggs. Maybe I'm crazy since it is almost 4 in the morning and I'm at work. :huh: :P :lol:

Mine was pretty white. All white. I used whole eggs.

Both pans sank a little in the middle, also, but once cool, it didn't seem sunken as much and didn't affect the taste.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: