Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Wonderful White Cake Recipe

4 posts in this topic

I have to brag on this cake. Got it from a link on this site. This is sooooooo good. It's really a white cake, but it is great. We ate the first pan. Second cut into slices and froze. They only take about 30 mins. to thaw out. So good.

I actually used only 1 cup of sugar because the batter was so thick. This was a "taste better the next day" recipe.

I also printed out some of the comments. I followed one person's advice to mix the flour and milk together first. Then mixed up the other dry ingredients.

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake

By: Amy

"Basic and easy, and very versatile. Layer with white or chocolate frosting, strawberries and whipped cream, etc. Make sure your baking powder is gluten-free."

Rate/Review | Read Reviews (120)

• 1 1/2 cups white rice flour

• 3/4 cup tapioca flour

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 3 teaspoons baking powder

• 1 teaspoon xanthan gum

• 4 eggs

• 1 1/4 cups white sugar

• 2/3 cup mayonnaise

• 1 cup milk

• 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.

2. Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.

3. Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 154 | Total Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 38mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

I adjusted the flours to 1 3/4 cup Thai rice flour and 1/2 tapioca flour.

I also add a bowl of water to my oven while cooking gluten free as it adds moisture and baked goods tend to be less dry. great success with this one.

I took another reviewers suggestion and added the milk to the rice flour while I combined the other ingredients. It lost 90% of it's graininess. Great suggestion.

This recipe works out great. I decrease the amount of sugar by 1/2 cup and substitute a box of Jello powder. My daughter loves it and she gets to choose which "flavour" of cake we will have every time (lemon, strawberry etc). I only use the Jello powder that calls for boiling water.

We did alter the flour a bit -- 1/2 c brown rice flour, 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, and 1/2 c tapioca flour. Thank you for such a great recipe.

I followed the suggestions of previous reviewers and added 1/3 cup more sugar and 1/2 cup unsweetened coco powder to make chocolate cupcakes. I cooked them for about 19 minutes. Perfect!

Rather than xanthan gum (way too expensive!), can use guar gum (runs $4.99/lb in my area and can usually buy small packages for under $2 at health food stores). Cake turned out fine, except my batter was thin and I had to pour it rather than spread it!

thanku!!! will definitely try... and i prefer white cakes to yellow :P

Just curious, It sounds like it would be a yellow cake if you use whole eggs. Maybe I'm crazy since it is almost 4 in the morning and I'm at work. :huh::P:lol:

Just curious, It sounds like it would be a yellow cake if you use whole eggs. Maybe I'm crazy since it is almost 4 in the morning and I'm at work. :huh::P:lol:

Mine was pretty white. All white. I used whole eggs.

Both pans sank a little in the middle, also, but once cool, it didn't seem sunken as much and didn't affect the taste.