Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've been having some stomach complaints for about a year now along with some other things that didn't really seem related at the time (horrible constipation, teeth are crumbling, migraines, random itchiness, a numb toe, fatigue, general feeling of being unwell, awful bloating, stomach cramps, allergies have been getting worse, etc) and finally decided to see a doctor about it.  He did run a blood test, took x-rays, and had various things tested from my stool.  

My blood test came back and everything was fine (I haven't seen the results yet).  The only thing celiac related on there was a total IgA.  I suspected that I was having a problem with gluten when I noticed how sick I felt after eating Cheerios.  I held off stopping gluten until after I saw the doctor and had the tests run.  I never specifically brought my thoughts up because I didn't want to maybe miss something else it could be I guess?  

Now that this has come back normal I'm wondering if it's worth it to push on?  Being off the gluten for a week has already made a world of difference, and things are slowly starting to move down there again. 

If I did bring it up, how can I explain without sounding like a loon?  I *know* that this is making a big difference.  I realize I'd have to start eating it again if further tests were needed.  I'm not sure I want to feel that horrible again. It could be non-celiac gluten intolerance which wouldn't show any real results anyway.  

Thanks for reading all that!

You'd have to go back on the gluten for any blood tests to be accurate. The total IGA is only used (to my knowledge) to determine whether or not you are IGA deficient (which can mess up the results of the IGA TTG).

You could go back on the gluten, get the full panel ran, and see what happens. Bring up your concerns about it and it should be fine.

Yes, I think Shadowicewolf is right. The celiac panels include that test as well as:

Ttg IgA and ttg IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

AGA IgA and IgG (older tests and becoming less common)

If you do want testing, now is the time. Many celiacs appear to react worse the longer they have been away from gluten so eating gluten for a few weeks 6 months or a year from now could be a horrible experience. I would eat gluten for a week and get tested. You haven't been off of it for long so hopefully it won't impact your results.

Any general practioner can order the tests if you do decide to go that route.

Best wishes.