This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

An Introduction :)

Auntie-Manda

Auntie-Manda Apprentice

Hi, everyone. I just joined today, and thought I'd say hi!

I do not have Celiac, but it's becoming more and more obvious to me that I'm gluten intolerant. My friend suggested that I go gluten-free to see if my migraines would go away (after my doctor was unable to find a cause for them). I've had daily headaches for years (since at least middle school, and I'm now 26). Well, recently they switched to daily migraines, and I couldn't function. I saw a doctor and was put on several medications to make the headaches go away, but they stopped working after a few weeks. I went gluten-free on Feb 28th, 2013. I saw an improvement with the migraines right away, but I'm sure there's still gluten still in my body, and I look forward to feeling even better.

What confirmed it to me, was last week when I had communion (my pastor said I could have gluten-free communion wafers, but forgot and gave me a normal one). An hour and a half later, I was miserable. I had a stomachache, and I was bloated to looking 5 months pregnant, and I had a horrible migraine. I didn't feel better for 2.5 days.

It's quite a project learning about how to eat. It's also a challenge telling others about it, and being faced with everyone thinking it's a fad/ some "thing I'm doing". I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor, but that doesn't make it any less real. I'm not going to reintroduce gluten and feel horrible just for a doctor to tell me what I already know. On the other end of the spectrum, I got some attitude from a guy with Celiac (saying that the reaction probably wasn't due to communion because I still had gluten in my system). He made me feel like since I don't have Celiac, my problems aren't real. Luckily I do have some supportive friends and family members, and that makes a huge difference.

I joined this website because it has been so helpful every time I do web searches with any questions. Thanks already for the help! I look forward to becoming an active member  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jhol Enthusiast

hi there,

just writing to say hi really, dont worry about not being diagnosed celiac, there are lots of us on here who have gone on the diet out of desperation . and had to work things out for ourselves. ask anything you like, people will always answer. only been on here since january myself .

good luck in working out what works for you :)

cahill Collaborator

Welcome Auntie Manda :)

julissa Explorer

welcome, it's nice to meet you

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Hi Aunty Manda,

It certainly sounds as if you have a positive dietary response.  Sometimes one even seems to react more than ever as the body recovers.  That is a good think, because it helps one learn the way.

I always try to give flowers to those who are new  *** That is my best flowers to date.

Get well, I am glad you have support,

Diana

• 3 weeks later...
Life-Of-A-Gluten-Free-Wife Newbie

Hi guys!

Just stopping by to say hello! I was looking for a forum online talking about gluten free. My husband recently found out that he has a gluten sensitivity, we haven't gotten tested for celiac, but we know gluten is a problem. He gets very sick whenever he eats anything with gluten, he grew up thinking it was normal. Hoping to connect with a couple of people -

I am also on twitter too will follow you if you follow me. I also update my blog regularly. Looking for some online friends to share glutenfree info with.

jhol Enthusiast

hi there,

just saying ,you might be better off introducing yourself in one of the lists on the forum page. theres one for friends of a relative with celiac - or something like that. just click on that then on the start a new thread button. more people will see your post that way.ask any questions you want, even if you think its stupid/dumb - ive asked loads lol. only been here myself since january, ive had the tests - they were all negative. ive gone on the diet anyway and im currently waiting for allergy tests but im going off that im  gluten intolerant.

theres also a good read with the newbie 101 thread that will help you and your husband a lot. nice to hear from you - hope that helps :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived