This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

cavernio

cavernio Enthusiast

I'm in need of a birthday cake recipe or good one I can substitute in.

Can haves:

-buckwheat flour

-eggs

-vegetables of any sort

-lard

-sugar

-baking soda

-spices

Can't haves:

-any other type of flour, including ground nuts

-non-chocolate preferred

-dairy

-grain-based oils

-baking powder

The only flour I have at my disposal is buckwheat. I usually wouldn't submit someone on their birthday to the strong flavor of buckwheat, but for who it's for, they'll probably like it, provided the recipe is a good one.

I've found a recipe involving nut flour that looks good, so I'll go scouring the 1 store left that I have for safe, whole nuts to grind, but I'm not crossing my fingers. Looking for non-nut cake ideas!

I've found a meringue topping requires shortening that I think I'll put lard in instead as an icing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I use the King Arthur recipe for angel food cake, I'm not sure how well such a delicate cake would hold up to buckwheat flour but I suppose it would be worth a try. It is an excellent recipe to give a test run to by cutting in half. Also, when halved, the yolks left over are the perfect amount for Alton Brown's lemon curd for topping. I made this for Valentine's Day and Easter and plan to keep making it every excuse I get. (I do use a flour blend of brown rice, sorghum and.. idk, other crap that has xanthum gum in it I think.) It is a very small ratio of flour to eggs so it may not really have much if any impact on the flavor. If you make the whole recipe, the yolks are just enough to make it into a daffodil cake and the lemon curd.

Open Original Shared Link

There are also plenty of options besides cake. My grandfather is a pie lover and I know plenty of others who prefer pie for their birthdays. Pavlovas are amazing beyond compare and for a party can be made mini if you don't want to be cutting into a large one to serve a bunch of people.

If you want ice cream with your cake, freeze a few over ripe bananas. When it is time for cake and ice cream, throw the bananas, broken up, into a food processor, maybe with a few tablespoons of any milk or sub you use if you want it a little creamier, and you have a perfect ice cream. You don't need the milk though, and it is so good and simple you'll be surprised at how much like ice cream it really is. I was for sure.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Is coconut out?

What about beans? There are recipes using black beans/white beans to make cake.

Here's a recipe...have no idea if its any good...

cavernio Enthusiast

Oooh, I forgot about beans! That bean recipe looks really good.... I'll see if I can find any white ones to soak. I'm still on the fence about canned beans, most brands I definitely wouldn't buy, but I might give eden organics a try.

I'll use coconut but not coconut flour or dried packaged coconut, or possibly some other form that I think I might have cc. (More and more I feel like I don't have other grain intolerances but rather am simply more sensitive to gluten-corn-only orville reddenbacker popcorn sans margarine seems to be safe...mild symptoms are so hard to figure out). I do have a fresh coconut sitting in my fridge (probably gone bad by now), but not sure I have the tools to grate it.

Man, if I get nuts I trust, and can just get the local bean farmer to not put some of the beans in milk bags (my parents did that all the time, never saw a plastic baggie at home), I can cook anything! (Well, I'm in the washing the beans for 10minutes stage right now, last try using those dried beans my tongue got pretty dry, prolly dairy residue. I'll just have to do better for now.)

Simona19 Collaborator

If you can have coconut, you can probably substitute rice flour for buckwheat flour.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/89907-gluten-and-casein-free-coconut-cake-with-chocolate-filling/

You can divide the dough in half, bake it in a round baking pan to make a birthday cake. You can also double the filling to have more for decorating. You can use any fruit on top, or just sprinkles. 

cavernio Enthusiast

Unfortunately I don't use powdered sugar anymore either, has cornstarch in it. I've tried regular sugar and even superfine sugar in a blender, but it's just not fine enough.

I did make that bean cake and it's definitely a keeper, although it was far too moist...will use dried up cooked beans next time. Looked greasy, but it was just liquid.

Simona19 Collaborator

Once I didn't have powdered sugar, so I tried to make one. I used my Ultimate chopper for that. That little chopper made superfine powdered sugar.  Later I tried to do that with the  Montel Williams Health master. Same results- very fine. If you have something similar at home, you can try again. In this cake you don't really have to have supper fine powdered sugar. You can use even Domino sugar. You just need to mix the egg's mixtures little longer. The result will be the same- great and easy cake. You can try it one day.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simona19 Collaborator
pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Unfortunately I don't use powdered sugar anymore either, has cornstarch in it. I've tried regular sugar and even superfine sugar in a blender, but it's just not fine enough.

I did make that bean cake and it's definitely a keeper, although it was far too moist...will use dried up cooked beans next time. Looked greasy, but it was just liquid.

Try a cooked icing. Won't matter if its powdered or not.

love2travel Mentor

Have you considered non-cake items such as pavlova, panna cotta or creme brulee?  Or how about chocolate lava cake or flourless cakes?

Archived