Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisachrystine

High Iga After Going gluten-free?

My 7 year old was diagnosed with Celiac via blood test and biopsy over a year ago. At the time, when he was eating gluten, his IgA was normal, but the other two (TTG and something else that I can't remember now) were super high. Since going gluten-free, those two have returned to normal, but the last two blood tests show his IgA as being high now when it wasn't before. Is there another reason why this particular marker would change when it appears that his Celiac is under control with the other two negative results and no symptoms. He is pretty sensitive to gluten - usually gets sick within 24 hours of ingesting it -- and it doesn't have to be a lot to make him sick. So, I'm pretty sure there's nothing sneaky going on. What else might cause this? Any ideas?

The total serum IgA is not actually a celiac test. It is a control test to ensure that the patient makes enough IgA to have an accurate ceilac test.

I don't know of any problems related to a high IgA. I have heard that a low IgA is often linked to autoimmune disorders - like celiac. Perhaps (and this is only a non-medically trained guess) now that his inflammation is coming down, and his disease is under control, his IgA levels went up?  Just a guess though.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medical/test_iga.html

Hope you find answers... And congrats on treating your son's celiac -with those labs it looks like you've done a great job.  :)

I honestly don't remember the exact test. It was a quick look at it at the GI's office yesterday. I was going to call and have them send me the labs so I can be more specific. I guess I was concerned about other issues - not so much Celiac-related, but maybe other allergies or something? It was just strange to me that it changed. My 4 yo daughter (the first diagnosed with Celiac) has completely normal labs. Everything was high on diagnosis and everything is normal now - the response we'd expect, so when his came back different, it threw me.