This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It All Makes Sense Now, If I Have Celiac Disease.

taynichaf

taynichaf Contributor

Sooo much to say...but after a year of trying to lose weight, I've come across celiac disease and the more I read about it, the more I thought I had it..

My symptoms now are depression, anxiety, irritability, bloating, tingling hands and feet, fatigue, muscle weakness, very gassy, frequent bowl moments and sometimes diarrhea..and very tired! Oh and I also have lost my period..

Does this sound like celiac to you?? Whenever I tried bringing it up to my mom she doesn't take it seriously, but I made a doctors appointment myself..

thus might be long, but if you keep reading I'll tell you about past celiac related issues.

The first one that I can remember was going to the doctor in about 4th grade because of reoccurring stomach pains.I got an x ray, and I think I was just really constipated or something, and then I was prescribed laxatives.. Now, in 6th grade I weighed about 75 pounds, and growing up I always thought I was fat, because my gut always seemed to sick out. By 8th grade I weighed around 115! And in 8th grade is when my anxiety seemed to get worse and I changed, and I wasn't the same person anymore..and after lunch,I would get terrible stomach pains! My stomach felt like it was popping,I would get support gassy, and my stomach made really loud noises (so embarrassing) somehow I came to the conclusion that I was lactose intolerant, and then I moved on. My depression and anxiety slowly got worse through the years and my bloating and gas seemed like a normal thing to me. By 11th grade, my depression worsened..this happened to be after my beer drinking phase!.. Then after awhile I quit drinking (and still don't) because it just makes me feel tired and I never feel "drunk". So, by the end of 11th grade I weighed almost 140! And I stopped having my periods too. Then I tried losing weight, eating very strict, over exercising, and eating very little.I lost weight but was still puffy, and it was sooo hard to keep losing, and I could gain very easily.. One time I ate 5 bread sticks (still within calorie goal) and I gained 5 pounds the next day.this want water weight, because I ate carbs daily. My breakfast every morning was whole wheat toast! Soon I became extremely fatigued, but I was determined to lose weight..so during summer I would sleep in, eat breakfast, workout for two hours, and then go home and go back to beddd.I had to sleep a lot! And my depression and anxiety slowly got even worse.then I quit restricting myself so much (but still ate really healthy) and I gained 15 pounds in two weeks...! So I gained all my weight back. The only tone I started losing again was when I didn't eat so much bread and oat meal (thus wasn't on purpose ) then I got into high fat dieting, which I mainly got carbs from veggies and fruits..then I got my period! And in two weeks,i like 8 pounds, aaand my bloating was gone just a little spotting though..then I was craving spaghetti so I aye a bunch of whole wheat pasta..the next week after that I would get random pains in my stomach..but I continued to eat wheat and got really tired and irritable again..oh and after I ate that pasta, the next morning I was 8 pounds heavier.. Now ik so exhausted all three tone that I can't even exercise..I'm sooo weak..my legs hurry and I get winded just by walking up stairs! When I run,I never get the endorphins anymore,I just feel even crappier when I'm done!

My dad knows that there has to be a reason for the ways I've changed..and I've accepted that it's just depression, but lately I don't think so...

My blood tests a few months ago..I showed low iron and low b12..normal thyroid..my doc put me on antidepressants that give you energy..and Heyyy..still no energy!

Sooo sorry about howww long this is! But if you read out, thank you!!! My doctors appointment is in a few days (I moved, so it's a brand new doctor) so how do I all to get tested for celiac?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taynichaf Contributor

Another symptom I noticed is acid reflux..I always had it, but I was just so used to it I thoughtit was normal..after not eating gluten, and then reintroducing it,I felt it bad!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Yeah, get the list of tests before you go.  List the symptoms as you did above.  Hopefully, your doctor will be one that listens to their patient.  Don't give up even if they don't listen.  You have an important set of gripes, and I believe there is a reason for them.

Diana

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

Hi taynichaf,

I would bring the tests with you about low iron and B12, which are frequently associated with celiac.  check out this link:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is another link and paper I've found helpful:

Open Original Shared Link

ask for the complete celiac panel, which includes:

DGP igA/igG

ttg igA/igG

EMA

Total igA serum to make sure you aren't igA deficient because if you are that invalidates all the igA results

Keep eating gluten until ALL tests are done  :)

good luck!

Another symptom I noticed is acid reflux..I always had it, but I was just so used to it I thoughtit was normal..after not eating gluten, and then reintroducing it,I felt it bad!

Archived