Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ellen101

Still Confused About Results

When looking at my blood work these are the tests listed and the results

IgA. 183. Ref 81-463

IgG. 1608. Ref. 694-1618

IgM. 122. Ref 48-271

I called to ask my doctors office if I had blood tests done to check for celiacs and they said yes I had the tissue tranglutiminase and the IgG. Is that these tests listed above? If so they claim it is negative for celiacs. Would the blood test specifically say " tissue trans glutiminase"?

I'm a newbie, too, so I don't feel like I can help you make sense of much (sorry), but I was tested for the Transglutaminase (deaminated glaiadin antibodies) and it was labeled "deaminated glaidin transglutaminase IgA" on my results.  I doubt that was helpful (sorry again)... hopefully someone else will answer soon.

I'm still learning myself but from what I've learned:

IgA -- control numbers, nothing indicative other than the fact you do create enough antibodies to allow the further testing.

IgG -- indicative of long term or chronic infections -- while you are on the high end, it is within normal range?

IgM -- (this I haven't seen too often on this board) is related to new infections or possible parasitic infections. "high levels of IgM can mean a new infection is present"

What I gather is, they did the IgA to assess if you have enough antibodies to allow the IgG to be accurate.  If you don't have enough IgA, they do alternate measurements or alternative testing.

We have several longtime moderators who are pretty savvy in reading this better or explaining better though, I'm sure one of them will pop on:)

it looks like all they measured is the immunoglobulin results for control tests with everything in range though the igG is almost out, but it doesn't seem that they actually did any celiac specific tests.  

celiac tests are:

DGP iga/ igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

is it possible to get an actual copy of the tests, or is this it?

on my report it was listed like this:

t−Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

t−Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG

hope this helps!

When looking at my blood work these are the tests listed and the results
IgA. 183. Ref 81-463
IgG. 1608. Ref. 694-1618
IgM. 122. Ref 48-271

I called to ask my doctors office if I had blood tests done to check for celiacs and they said yes I had the tissue tranglutiminase and the IgG. Is that these tests listed above? If so they claim it is negative for celiacs. Would the blood test specifically say " tissue trans glutiminase"?

Those results look like they measured the total serum blood levels of the three different types of antibodies.  They did not test for celiac disease.  Aprilelayne is correct.  These are the tests known as the celiac panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

You have already had the last test on the list (IgA 183), which is the control to validate the other tests.