Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does the testing for Celiac disease entail? I am very new to the possibility of having celiac disease and I've had two ultrasounds and a physical exam so far for other possible causes of my symptoms (to no avail). What does Celiac disease testing mean? What types of tests are there? I'm sort of scared. Help!

Oh, I am sorry you feel that way.  Usually the testing is a blood test.  If this sort of test bothers you, you can probably lay down and not watch it.  I like to look away when the needle goes in, but I am often surprised that I only feel it a little.  I don't mind watching as the little viles are filled to keep tabs on how many and if it is nearly done.  Compared to suffering from disease, this testing is easy!

Do make sure that you get all of the necessary tests. 

I found the list written by Guest134 on a December day. 

" Total serum IgA- This has nothing to do with celiac however if you are low in this than all of your IgA based tests will likely be false negative
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- In IgA sufficiency this is the most accurate test on your body's response to gluten ingestion, if this is positive your body is having a negative reaction to the consumption.
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- Similar to it's IgA counterpart but particularly useful if you are IgA deficient.
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab- This is a marker of damage, if this is elevated your intestines are damaged and celiac is most likely the cause (about 95-98 percent specific to celiac)
Endomysial Ab- Another marker of damage that is extremely specific to celiac. " 

Now, I think the very hardest part of testing is waiting for the results.  I know of someone going through this and the comfort is that the results come. 

just reposting what I did on your other topic:

Welcome!

get a complete celiac blood test panel done.

that consists of: 

DGP iga/igg

TTG iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you are not iga deficient, and if you aren't it will validate the other iga results

good luck!

Edit:  Ditto to what 1desperatelysavelady said!  The only thing I did was change the second Deamidated Gliadin to igg based.

"Total serum IgA- This has nothing to do with celiac however if you are low in this than all of your IgA based tests will likely be false negative
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- In IgA sufficiency this is the most accurate test on your body's response to gluten ingestion, if this is positive your body is having a negative reaction to the consumption.
Deamidated Gliadin IgG- Similar to it's IgA counterpart but particularly useful if you are IgA deficient.
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab- This is a marker of damage, if this is elevated your intestines are damaged and celiac is most likely the cause (about 95-98 percent specific to celiac)
Endomysial Ab- Another marker of damage that is extremely specific to celiac"

if you have celiac, they automatically cut your arms and legs off......  oh, wait........  no, you have to change your diet.  it's a big deal, but you get to keep your arms and legs lolz so, just takes determination and will power.  and practice ;)  

get tested before you quit eating gluten.  good luck!