This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Me Interpret My Test Results...do I Have Celiac?

crystaleedwards12

crystaleedwards12 Newbie

Okay so here's the deal. I was tested about 2 months ago for celiac and the test came out positive. So, I gave up gluten. I don't recall which test they did but another doctor later on told me that type of test isn't really the most accurate. So another doc suggested I go back on gluten for a week and be re-tested. So I did, and I had 2 tests, the IGA serum and the tissue transglutaminase AB. I called the lab today and the results are in but my doctor is out of the office and is not good at returning calls and I wont be able to make an appointment with him for another few weeks so I am hoping that someone here might be able to give me some insight. 

The IGA serume came out to be 55 and the Tissue Transglutaminase AB is 15. 

Do you know what this means? Is it normal? Is it low? is it high? I keep trying to google the info but can't find information I can understand. 

Also I don't even know if I was back on gluten long enough for the test to be correct, I was only back on it for a week, then go the blood test and then gave up gluten again. I have decided no matter what to stick with a gluten free diet, but I just want to know how strict I need to be. If it seems certain I do have celiac then I will be very very strict but if I don't have celiac then I will still avoid gluten but wont be as strict. I am a 30 year old female and wasn't really having any severe symptoms directly related to celiac,  just would feel really icky and full after eating gluten, but I wanted to get tested just in case since I was planning on giving up gluten. 

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

You need to find out the ranges the lab uses to determine if your numbers are out of range (positive.)  Also, a week of eating gluten is probably not enough, but it is different for everyone.  My doctor told me to eat gluten for 6 months before being tested again.  I gave up after 3 and my test was still negative.  Since my original test was positive and all my symptoms went away when I went gluten free, and I have a celiac son, I didn't really need to continue on with more testing.  I just know I need to be gluten free.

My son was still testing positive 6 months after being gluten free, so it really is different for everyone.

So, your most recent tests may not be helpful to you, but if they are positive, you will have your answer.  Really, your initial test should be enough.

Cara

nvsmom Community Regular

Ditto everything Cara said: We would need the normal reference ranges of the labs to comment. For example, my lab's tTG IgA range was 0-20 but there are many that are 0-5... at a 15 you could be 3 times the upper limit or still within normal range. And I agree that 1 week on gluten is not enough for a gluten challenge; if you have a positive result after 2 months gluten-free and 1 week on gluten, then it's probably celiac disease.

On page 11-12 of this report are the celiac tests as well as how sensitive and specific they are. The tTG IgA is a pretty good test for celiac. The total serum IgA is just a control test to make sure you have enough IgA for the IgA types of tests (DGP IgA, tTG IgA, EMA IgA, AGA IgA) to be accurately tested without false negatives - you want the serum IgA to be in the normal range.

Open Original Shared Link

Welcome to the boards.  Ask lots of questions if you wish... some people around here really know their stuff.  :)

Archived