Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mousefan71

Has Anyone Gone gluten-free Based On High Tt Iga Alone?

My 9 year old daughter has been blood tested twice for Celiacs.  The first time:

Anti-Gliadin IGA - 7 normal

Anti-Gliadin IGG - 12 normal

TT IGA - >100  Strong Positive

Reticulan IGA AB - Negative

Comprehensive Metabolic - normal except for high Bun Creatinie Ratio and high Albumin

Retested 1 week later - still on gluten:

Anti-Gliadin IGA - 3 normal

Anti-Gliadin IGG - 4 normal

TT IGA - >47  Strong Positive

Reticulan IGA AB - Negative

Everything else - normal

She has not has any digestive symptoms but is having:

fatigue

insomnia

high anxiety

weakness

leg trembling

hand tingling

headache

numb mouth

foggy brain

rapid heartbeat

cramps

rash on arms and legs

dizziness

She was being treated for anxiety and was put on a modified school schedule because it was debilitating.  Finally when the blood tests came back we thought - FINALLY we have answers!!  She started gluten-free about a week ago and appears to be SLOWLY improving. 

Has anyone else gone gluten-free based only on high TT IGA and numerous symptoms or should I investigate further?

I went gluten-free on tTG IgA and the EMA IgA (which is a very similar test).  Because your daughter's score was so positive, I would say that there is litlle doubt that it is celiac disease. If the tTG IgA has a false positive (which only occurs 1-9% of the time) the tTG is much lower - barely positive. Those false cases are always caused by something else like diabetes, thyroiditis, liver disease, Crohn's or a serious GI infection.

With her high score and the celiac symptoms that are improving on the gluten-free diet, I would presume celiac disease is the cause. That's great she is improving in the first week! Many of us felt worse for a while after starting the diet.