Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BelleVie

Has Anyone Here Gone gluten-free, Then Done A Challenge For A Biopsy, Resulting In Positive Diagnosis?

Just wondering. Having just begun a challenge, at day two, I'm thinking...eh, this isn't going to be so much fun. (I'm sweating like CRAZY for one thing, and am running a low grade fever. Weird.)

I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find very many stories of people who've gone through this for a biopsy after a long time of gluten-free, and then had a diagnosis. I'm just wondering my odds. 

Trying to avoid blood tests. It seems that research shows that intestinal damage shows up far more quickly than a positive blood test result will. Three months of gluten = NO. 

Happy Monday!  :D

I did three weeks gluten free before doing the challenge for another three weeks and got a positive. But I also had violent reactions when I got diagnosed and my GI said he was almost confident calling the endoscopy positive on sight alone because I had such widespread, visual damage. So it really depends. 

The recommended time for an endo is 3 weeks on gluten. My guess (keyword: guess) is that since you've been off for 3 months that should be sufficient, but talk to your doctor and keep doing your own research. Maybe someone here has a more medically based answer. 

I did three weeks gluten free before doing the challenge for another three weeks and got a positive. But I also had violent reactions when I got diagnosed and my GI said he was almost confident calling the endoscopy positive on sight alone because I had such widespread, visual damage. So it really depends. 

The recommended time for an endo is 3 weeks on gluten. My guess (keyword: guess) is that since you've been off for 3 months that should be sufficient, but talk to your doctor and keep doing your own research. Maybe someone here has a more medically based answer. 

Thanks, Emi. I've actually been 9 months off gluten (with the odd accidental glutening here and there.) Prior to that, I did not eat a diet heavy in gluten-based foods. A study I read, actually the only relevant study I can find on the issue (Leffler, Schuppan, and Pallav, "Kinetics of histological....responses to gluten challenge") states that fourteen days is adequate to detect small-intestine damage via endoscopy. 

I think it'll probably end up being about 3 weeks for me.  :blink:

In all honesty, the mental effects of gluten are far worse than I expected, and the tummy effects aren't nearly as bad as I'd thought they would be. But if given the choice, I'd probably take tummy troubles over my mind. I'm a teacher, and my kids are definitely aware that I'm not on my game!  :rolleyes: