Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hh4

Ttg Iga = 22.5. Definite Celiac?

I just received my test results and they read:

TTG IgG = 8.9 U/ML

TTG IgA = 22.5 U/ML

Given that the positive range for the IgA is >10 U/ML, is there any chance that I don't have celiac? I'm willing to go gluten-free without a confirmation from an intestinal biopsy, much of which I'll have to pay for out of pocket. 

Welcome to the board.

Since your tTG IgA is over double the upper limit of normal, I would guess that it was probably celiac disease that caused  your result. There is a slim chance that it was caused by chronic liver disease, diabetes, or colitis and crohn's, but that usually only occurs when the tTG IgA is just slightly elevated. Overall the tTG IgA is pretty specific for celiac (how often out of 100 positives, the result is caused by celiac disease). This report, on page 12, discusses the specifity of the tTG IgA, as well as the sensitivity.

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

You could always try to have the doctors run the other tests (EMA, DGP and AGA) for further confirmation, but be aware that like the endoscopy, there is always a chance of a false negative.

I think you probably have celiac disease. There is a slight chance you don't, but if you are having symptoms, and they resolve on the gluten-free diet, then that is further proof that it is celiac disease.

Best wishes.