Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Herreralovv

How To Deal When Moody?

Okay so im suspecting i have celiac, and monday i will take the blood test. But everytime i eat accidntly eat gluten, i get super moody. Every little thing bothers me. How do you guys deal with this. I tend to take it out on my husband, and i want to prevent this before it affects my marriage.

I usually break something. :lol:

OH, you mean how to STOP being moody? I try really hard to zone out on whatever is in front of me. For example, if I'm in a long line at the grocery store and the cashier is moving in slow motion while the person she is waiting on can't decide whether or not to put something back, and I feel like exploding, I just look at what is on the shelf nearby - either the silly magazines or even the brands and flavors of chewing gum. If I'm home and I seem to drop whatever I'm trying to pick up and the cat keeps trying to trip me and I just burned the rice, I shut the stove off, sit down, take a deep breath and pick up a book, or even a box of whatever is nearby and read the ingredients, and whatever else is on the label.

Once I am out and about I plaster a smile on my face and PRETEND to be in a good mood. After a very short while I fake myself out - you can't smile even a fake smile without starting to really feel good.

I usually break something. :lol:

OH, you mean how to STOP being moody? I try really hard to zone out on whatever is in front of me. For example, if I'm in a long line at the grocery store and the cashier is moving in slow motion while the person she is waiting on can't decide whether or not to put something back, and I feel like exploding, I just look at what is on the shelf nearby - either the silly magazines or even the brands and flavors of chewing gum. If I'm home and I seem to drop whatever I'm trying to pick up and the cat keeps trying to trip me and I just burned the rice, I shut the stove off, sit down, take a deep breath and pick up a book, or even a box of whatever is nearby and read the ingredients, and whatever else is on the label.

Once I am out and about I plaster a smile on my face and PRETEND to be in a good mood. After a very short while I fake myself out - you can't smile even a fake smile without starting to really feel good.

Hope you don't buy those gums, they pretty much all have sorbitol and if you take too much you'll get bad diarrhea ;)

If I had an answer, I'd share it. 

The "irritability" is normally my first symptom after even the smallest contamination. But I have to laugh when I see people call it irritability. For me it is more of a completely uncontrollable rage. Anything and everything can and will set me off.

And I often don't even realize that it is happening until after I've already lashed out at someone. I suppose I do better after that initial "mistake" and actually realize that I've been glutened. But I have to avoid interacting with others in order to not take it out on them. Even if I'm home alone, I have to remind myself to stay off of facebook, out of skype, off of the phone and just distract myself with something mindless - like a comedic movie or TV show.

Knowing that I'll have at least two days of migraine headache following close on the anger's heals, with another couple days of not wanting to do anything doesn't exactly make me feel any better.

I normally remind myself that drinking lots of water will help me get through it - then not drink enough of it because I'm too distracted by the anger, then the pain, then the fog. Same goes for my best intentions of getting some exercise or doing some yoga. FAIL!

But I do pretty well when it comes to not beating myself up too badly and limiting how guilty I could let myself feel. I try to warn people that I come in contact with what is going on ... and avoid contacts. Fortunately, I work from home so I can lay low pretty easily.

But I suppose the thing that I'm getting much better at is avoiding getting glutened, especially before I know I'm going to be in any sort of stressful or social situation, being extra careful and not taking any risks if I know I'll need to be at my best. And it is getting easier to have that hyper-vigilant state be my norm.  

But in a couple weeks, I'm facing my first family outing that is a must-attend, where the restaurant will definitely not have any gluten-free options. I'm kind of dreading sitting at the table having to explain why I'm not eating anything. Perhaps I can do some table hopping in a sociable manner to avoid people noticing and not have to get into a whole conversation about gluten allergies. My other option is to bring my own food and just have the restaurant plate it, which I suppose I could do. No way I'd risk getting glutened in front of both sides of my entire family, many of which I haven't seen in years.

Lots of people I know who are gluten free can only manage to stay that way be getting the rest of their family to do so as well, at least at home.