Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blckchr8

Endoscopy And Colonoscopy Tomorrow

So, just posting to get some things off my mind. I'm so worried that tomorrow's tests will find nothing and I'll end up diagnosed with IBS. All of my blood tests came back negative, so I don't have much hope. 

Not to mention it's a little unnerving to have both done for the first time...and my doctor never said anything about doing biopsies or continuing to look for celiac. (For all I know, he could be like many doctors and not even be looking for it since the blood tests were negative.)

Oy. Too much to think about for having to check in at 7 a.m. :| 

Doing both procedures at the same time is normal. The prep for the colonoscopy is more involved, so it you are prepped for that then there is no additional prep for the endoscopy. Sedation is the same for both. Before they sedate you, ask about biopsies of the small intestine to look for damage caused by celiac disease. They should take six or more samples.

Well had it done and all went well - as in, I don't remember anything. I did make sure that my doctor was going to take biopsies. Then I was put to sleep. The nurse who checked me out said he took biopsies in the duodenum. So hope that means he was in the right place. 

If those come back negative I don't know what I'm going to do. The doctor said everything looked normal (mind you, I DO realize that doesn't mean the biopsies could find something). My plan now is to start going gluten free I guess.

I know how hard it is when everything is pointing to a negative diagnosis. But hang in there, even if things come back negative, it doesn't mean that there isn't something. My first colonoscopy came back inconclusive, that was almost 8 years ago. The doctor wasn't really the greatest and they did take biopsies too. My most recent doctor I am more confident in because she took the time to listen to everything I had to say. It's pretty important where they take the biopsy because things can  come back negative or inconclusive if they take a biopsy of healthy tissue or in the wrong spot.
You know your body better than everyone else, if a certain diet works for you then stick to it. It doesn't always really matter what the doctors paper says, although it is really really nice to have a word to put to your issues I still don't have an exact word to put to my symptoms but I stick with the diet because it lessens my issues.

blckchr8, I hope you find out soon! Im curious as to how long the biopsy report will take to come back myself. Tomorrow is my endo/colonoscopy, and as Im sitting here, drinking this awful gallon of prep stuff :( , I too have done this to get the final check to see if it could be Celiac. But, Im SOOO happy I can finally go gluten-free tomorrow, and be back on track with starting to feel better. And know that, I did all the tests, and don't have to have the what if's in the back of my head driving me bonkers.

Like whitepine said, if you know the diet works for you and makes you feel better, than stick with it. :)

However, I do have a question...can you eat what ever you want after? Or are there restrictions because of the biopsies.