This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Would You Do?

answerseeker

answerseeker Enthusiast

Ok so 1 week prior to my blood work and 3 weeks prior to my biopsy I was on prednisone. A lot. I was hospitalized due to asthma so the prednisone was in my iv and I was on the oral pills. So my tests were negative. I now know for a fact prednisone interferes with testing because it was mentioned in the book "real life with celiac" written by 2 GI doctors.

Not only that but my biopsy result literally came back negative the next day. They told me at least 2 weeks so I was shocked it came back so soon. Wondering if it was even properly examined and if multiple samples were taken.

My GI dr acknowledges I could still possibly have celiac. I see him next week and may discuss possibly retesting.

If you were me would you do a gluten challenge and repeat testing to get a accurate diagnosis?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Any steroid suppresses the immune system so no doubt that if you were on prednisone it could have altered the normal function of the immune system. 

It is interesting that your biopsy came back the next day. I don't know how they do things specifically, but in the animal world (where I work), biopsies mean that the tissues are cut and then sent to a pathologist to interpret. The cutting and prepping and fixing of the tissue and then sending the slices on slides to the pathologist AND getting his/her interpretation takes time. Are you sure they performed a biopsy?

Not sure what i would do but I'd definitely ask more questions and push the docs for answers.

answerseeker Enthusiast

He said they took biopsies and I plan on asking him next week when I see him. It seems odd that it came back so quickly.

frieze Community Regular

was it a "final" or initial report?

answerseeker Enthusiast

I never saw the report so not sure

kareng Grand Master

I never saw the report so not sure

So you know what you need to do! Get the reports - you should have a pathology report for the biopsies.

answerseeker Enthusiast

But if the dr said its negative its not going to tell me anything

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

But if the dr said its negative its not going to tell me anything

I must have misunderstood. I thought there was some thought it might not even have been the path report for the biopsies? Or there was some thought he might not have done biopsies? Or it wasn't the correct report? Or he only did one or two biopsies?

If you are sure you completely understand what the doctor is talking about, and its what you think he is saying, then I guess your good. If it were me, I would still want the reports

Archived