This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pregnancy

JosieToo

JosieToo Explorer

Hi all,

Just been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I've consulted two OBGYNs who have told me that if I want to get pregnant I should start trying immediately. They said that the longer I wait (and in their words "the more chronic the condition becomes"), the greater the chance of problems.

However, I have read online that it is recommended to wait 6 months - 2 years to allow time for the stomach to heal before trying to get pregnant. I presume to allow for better nutrient absorption.

Anyone have any feedback?

I'm 37 so time is not on my side at this point! :)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

Given that celiac disease is associated with infertility, what can a woman with celiac disease do to help her get pregnant?

A strict gluten-free diet for a few months and a good multivitamin are all a woman with celiac disease needs to be sure there’s no interference with fertility.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Maybe just a few months gluten-free then try? If you feel better and any blood testing shows an improvement after 3 months, consider starting then. Unless you run into problems, 6 months is likely to be fine.

The outcomes for diagnosed celiacs are almost identical to non celiacs once they are on the gluten-free diet, and your chances of avoiding miscarriages are massively improved now you are diagnosed.

Start taking a good gluten-free multivitamin, and consider eating a good clean diet, mostly meat, dish, eggs, veg and fruit.

I had my lovelies at 39 and 37, and met lots of new moms of a similar age.

I wish you all the very best, ask lots of questions as you get used to the diet

Mw

VeggieGal Contributor

I've only been dx and gluten-free for 8 months but suspect I've had celiac for years.

My son is now 12 but before I had him I was trying to conceive for nearly two years and getting very stressed and upset. Anyway, I assumed the problem was that I was overweight so I started a wholefood only diet...obviously cutting out bread, biscuits, pasta etc too and included lots of pumpkin seeds and nuts, salads, veggies and beans. Well about 3 months later I was pregnant! so unbeknown to me at the time, maybe the cutting out gluten is what did it. I don't actually know why I started eating crap again because I felt the healthiest I'd ever been at that point.. (I'm taking alot longer to heal this time).

Good luck ... :)

Edited...you beat me to it with the wholefoods CMW! ..grrr my slow typing lol !

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I was mostly wheat free and Atkins when I conceived, which probably gave me just enough chance. (Pre diagnosis)

• 1 month later...
famgrl Newbie

This is really helpful information. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. I am 28 and I think I have had celiac pretty much my whole life because the damage to my intestine was extensive. I never took the gluten free diet seriously but I am regretting it now that I want to get pregnant. I want to have my first child before 30. I am giving myself 3-4 months to let my body heal (hopefully it works).

I was hoping that some one can tell me if beside gluten should I be cutting out dairy products due to lactose intolerance secondary to celiac? I haven't experienced any lactose intolerance symptoms but can it cause similar damage to intestine as gluten does (if in case I do have it)? I do not want to take any chances at this time but I also am careful about not to cut out good source of some nutrition either. 

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My functional medicine nurse told me her standard plan was to cut dairy, soy, and eggs for a few months while healing.  After that, you could try a normal amount (One serving) and wait four days to see if there is reaction.

Substitutes for milk:  nut milk, rice milk, coconut milk I suggest to find a recipe and make your own.

I found coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, other than that I do without it.

eggs?  I am not sure.  I am able to eat them.  They were one food I didn't have antibodies to in spite of eating them daily!

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This is really helpful information. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. I am 28 and I think I have had celiac pretty much my whole life because the damage to my intestine was extensive. I never took the gluten free diet seriously but I am regretting it now that I want to get pregnant. I want to have my first child before 30. I am giving myself 3-4 months to let my body heal (hopefully it works).

I was hoping that some one can tell me if beside gluten should I be cutting out dairy products due to lactose intolerance secondary to celiac? I haven't experienced any lactose intolerance symptoms but can it cause similar damage to intestine as gluten does (if in case I do have it)? I do not want to take any chances at this time but I also am careful about not to cut out good source of some nutrition either. 

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Didn't cut out dairy. If you can digest it, don't worry about it. I don't drink milk but am more into the yogurt and hard cheeses which are lower lactose.

famgrl Newbie

Thank you guys.

I don't think I have intolerance to dairy but I did't have severe symptoms from gluten either (just constipation, fatigue & poor sleep at times- but I thought it was due to low iron levels as I wasn't diagnosed at the time). So I can't help but worry about dairy either. I just don't want it to cause swelling in intestine and lead to poor absorption of nutrients causing all my hard work with the gluten free diet to go in vain. I will definitely try your suggestions.

I am also looking into getting injections for iron as my body is taking longer to absorb iron in tablet form. Any suggestion if injection is a good way to go?

Thanks

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I would take a multivitamin with folic acid and give yourself some time to heal first. I've never heard of celiac disease getting worse on a gluten free diet. A few months gluten-free would go a long way health-wise.

Archived