Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

answerseeker

Ttg Iga Not Reliable For Kids?

I have Kaiser and they only use this tests. My 8 yr old was tested with this and it was negative but I've read that it's not completely reliable?

At what age does it become more reliable test? I have a 13 yr old and she still needs to be tested. They are both pretty gluten light as the meals I cook are gluten free but they still get their gluten filled snacks.

The tTG IgA has a sensitivity between about 75 and 95%, meaning it misses 5-25% of celiacs. I am guessing, and it's only a guess, that for kids it is closer to the 25% missed just because celiac disease has not been in their lives as long so they haven't built up as many anitbodies.

The DGP tests have a tendency to pick up celiacs after a shorter gluten trial, or earlier in the disease which is why it is considered to be a better test for kids... especially the DGP IgG which has a sensitivity of about 98% - best one out there.

All that being said, the tTG IgA can work for some very young kids (toddlers) and not for others. My kids all tested negative but two out of three have gluten intolerance, and since I am a celiac I wouldn't be surprised if they are too despite a negative tTG IgA (only test we have access to as well). They are gluten-free because I don't trust the test 100% and because they could be NCGI instead.

If your 13 year old will be tested, and you want an accurate test, you should probably increase her gluten intake. An adequate gluten trial is 1-4 slices of bread per day for 4-12 weeks - 2 slices/day for 2 months is the average.