This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Or Not?

CajunChic

CajunChic Explorer

I've never posted before, so I'm a bit nervous! I'm wondering if anyone ever get an inconclusive result?! I've been on this journey for years! After 4 years, I've gotten diagnosed with IBS, bile reflux, acid reflux, endometriosis, gallbladder disease, and possibly celiac. My gallbladder was removed in 2009, then the problems only amplified. I've had endo surgery a year ago. Still sick! I went to see my 2nd gastro. He performed tests for 2 years before the biopsy. It came back with intraepithelial lymphocytosis. He also noted scalloped villi, but the pathologist noted the structure was still intact... he noted that it wasnt h.pylori or enteropathy and that it MAY be seen in some cases of celiac. I've gone gluten-free before suspecting an intotolerance and felt so much better. This time around I am feeling better, but having some really bad days. I've been gluten free for about 3 months now, I'm also going dairy free because it seems to upset my stomach. I'm just wondering if I am celiac or not?! I feel like I've been chasing an invisible disease for years and being told for so long that I'm too young and healthy-looking to have so many complaints : / I just want to have a name for my misery!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

If the gluten-free diet makes you feel better you either have celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance. I don't know if an official diagnosis is important to you or not. Many of us (myself included) do not have a formal diagnosis, but we know that gluten makes us sick.

If you're still having bad days, it might be because you are getting cross-contamination from something. Read the Newbie 101 thread. It'll help you so much. Then come back and ask more questions. We're here to help. :)

w8in4dave Community Regular

It is sometimes better for some to get the DX. But others don't really seem to care as long as they feel better. It is a personal decision. 

GFinDC Veteran

Did you have the blood antibody tests done while you still eating gluten?  Scalloped appearance in the small intestine is seen in celiac disease.  Scalloping is caused by destruction of the villi lining the intestine and smoothing of the interior surface of the intestine.  My understanding is scalloping is a sign of advanced damage to the villi, not the beginning stages.  Did they tell you your marsh scale number?

Healing from celiac damage can take months or years.  Celiac disease is an autoimmune attack on the intestine and your immune system is always working.  The immune system keeps us alive by always being ready to attack invaders/germs.  So even the slightest amount of gluten can trigger attack.  Plus the immune response doesn't stop in a day, it goes on for possibly weeks in some cases.  That makes it harder / slower to heal as the tissue growing back is also being destroyed.

With that kind of visible damage and positive blood tests, celiac is pretty much the only thing it can be.  Did you have positive blood tests?  Usually they do the blood antibody tests first and then the endoscopy to confirm villi damage.

CajunChic Explorer

Thanks for responding! I guess a diagnosis is important to me, living in southern louisiana this is a condition not well understood. I guess I'm just wanting to have a name.

My blood tests were negative for celiac. It was only noted during the biopsy that it may be celiac. I've tried gluten (stupid, I know) to see what or if I'd have reactions after feeling so much better.

I've also questioned it because I've been very diligent not to have gluten, with few reactions to unknown sources. I tried gluten just to test my theory and I've had such a small reaction I wonder if its truly celiac.

Should I base my diagnosis on a one time glutening?

emilykay405 Rookie

Really, the bottom line is: Does going gluten free make you feel better? If the answer is yes, then you can call it non celiac gluten intolerance and call it a diagnosis. I'm holding out for an endoscope because I want to know if there is any damage. It sounds like from your scope that there was some kind of damage and I know I've heard of the scallops before with celiac (not an expert in this area by a long shot). 

With my intolerance issues I've noticed that it's not always a big huge reaction. I'm currently trying to determine if I'm intolerant to red meat. I've had reactions ranging from dry heaves/nausea (first time in a while that I'd had a steak) to a mild stomach ache (leftover steak, hamburger meat). For me, there is no predictability.  

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I thought a biopsy and seeing villi damage= celiac as long as it occurs without giardia or other parasite.  A positive response to the diet backs up the biopsy results.  Problems with dairy happen when the villi are damaged.

Have you checked nutrient levels?  I can relate to looking young and yet "falling apart from the inside out.  Do you suffer from anemia or low vitamin D?

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I was tested positive with out a biopsy. I was going to have a biopsy, But I accidentally missed my appt.But they said I was Celiac so I just went Gluten Free and life is good!! Unless I am accidentally Glutened!! I never do it on purpose !! 

CajunChic Explorer

All of my blood tests have come back as normal. I recently tried gluten to see if I'd get sick, I guess to complete the diagnosis. I am having the worst week I've had in a while. Cramps, gas, nausea, confusion, and fatigue have been nonstop. Lesson learned!!

So you are going Gluten Free? Sometimes it takes a long time to feel better!! Just think how long you were eating Gluten. You said you have been chasing a disease for years and yet when the suspect you expect a quick healing from not eating Gluten. If you have been sick for years, you cannot expect to recover in weeks. 

Altho I felt better in just a few days, I know I am still not healed! I am hoping all these symptoms I am still having go away soon.

CajunChic Explorer

Yes, I'm completely (to my knowledge) gluten-free. I'm doing well, but am trying to pinpoint another intolerance. Maybe dairy and not just lactose? Anyhow, I'll NEVER try my reaction again with gluten. I'm still recovering from that and it's a week later

Yea I feel for ya there!! Hope you heal soon! 

GF Lover Rising Star

I think you now have decided that going gluten free is in your best interest.  It sounds like your initial "small" reaction to trying gluten turned into a rather large one.  As noted on the path report, there was scalloping which is Hallmark to Celiac Disease.  Did you follow up with your Doctor to review this report?  Is he confident in a Celiac diagnosis?  If you still feel the need for Doctor diagnosis, you would need to begin eating gluten again before blood tests are run.  Removing all dairy first is a good idea.  This is usually a culprit for the newly diagnosed.  You may be able to slowing add it back in after a time.  Soy can also be tough on some people.  If you do start taking things out, add them back slowly so you know what the culprit is. 

All the best.

Colleen

• 5 weeks later...
pocahontas30 Newbie

My son was just diagnosed celiac after testing negative with 2 separate blood tests but showing villi damage to the intestines. From what I've read here, that's pretty common suggesting you probably do have celiac.

Archived