This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are These Typical Symptoms?

try2bgfree

try2bgfree Rookie

Ok, so I am experiencing insomnia and decided to post.  Hi everyone.

I am not diagnosed celiac, is this forum also for gluten sensitive people?  I know I am sensitive, by elimination diet.  I haven't had tests bc I do not want to eat gluten.  Problem is, I keep eating it accidently.  2 weeks ago, my sister offered me mac and cheese, and I didn't want to be rude/be annoying so I just had one bite, I didn't think it would be a big deal.  Wrong.  Carpal tunnel symptoms, joint and muscle pain/swelling, head ache, gained 3 lbs, not to mention depression, anxiety, paranoia, unstable moods.  It had been a few months since having any gluten, and I guess I forgot how bad it sucks.

So on saturday I was finally feeling better, and got some soft serve ice cream with my boyfriend.  Insomnia started again, etc etc.  I didn't know that it has gluten!  If you accidently consume gluten, does eating anything not really healthy/simple make you feel ill?  Like the thought of eggs makes me sick when I feel like this, and I love candy, its my vice, but I just had some and now I feel like I could throw up.  So I mean if you get glutened, does it make you feel sick for a few days when eating non gluten food?

Also my daughter has moderate eczema and recurrent cradle cap even though she is 4 now.  She is also strangely addicted to food, like she will be playing and come in multiple times to ask for a treat, where other kids can focus on playing, she just can't.  I have read that it is best to let kids try to self regulate with food, which I have tried, but she will eat until she is sick every time.   She does have a really big belly with thin arms and legs, but it isn't awful like a lot of the pics on the internet.  Should I get her tested or am I just thinking things are wrong bc I know I experienced a lot of symptoms for years before I realized they were food related and WISH THERE WAS MORE INFORMATION out there.  Seriously, why don't doctors look for this stuff? 

Ok, sorry for the rant, but I have never talked about this with anyone who understands.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

This site is also for those with NCGI.  Welcome.

Sorry you are experiencing insomnia, happens to the best of us.  You may wish to reconsider getting blood tests for Celiac if you are having such reactions to gluten.  You and your daughter could both do a challenge and get tested at the same time if you are concerned she may have Celiac.  Non flavored soft serve does not have gluten in it.  Some flavors and topping may.  Cross contamination is also a risk if it is being dipped out by many spoons. 

Colleen

w8in4dave Community Regular

Unless your food is cross contaminated you should not have a problem with Gluten free food. Unless Gluten is not your problem. I would re consider getting checked. As for your daughter I would just make sure you give her good choices not letting her eat cookies and candies and such. Give her choices that are healthy. Maby not alot of processed stuff. I also agree maby you and your daughter do a challenge. 

bartfull Rising Star

Soft-serve ice cream is most likely CC'ed because cones often touch the nozzle. Scooped ice cream is most likely CC'ed because cone crumbs fall into the tubs. I only eat my ice cream at home. (Except when I have it at a good friend's ice cream shop. She got in a corn-free (I am intolerant to corn too) butter pecan that she keeps separate from the other flavors, and ONLY serves it in dishes or on the gluten-free waffle cones she started making JUST FOR ME!! :wub: )

Archived